I think this must be the quietest lot of Groups on the internet.

Valerie Donald

Dec 29, 2013, 7:33:55 PM12/29/13
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
My sad story is I have to give up breeding the Heritage Angoras due to age and health problems. I just can't manage them any more with out help. So if anyone is interested I have 3  three year old does for sale and 2 twelve month old does and 2 young bucks. It is a very hard decision. I went over yesterday to take photos to put on Gumtree and I couldn't bring myself to sell all of them so decided to keep 2.  I have 3 doe kids so that will give me 5 does which I can just let run in the paddocks. I will also keep my older buck and a buck kid as you never know next year there might be an improvement. I won't be breeding this year. If they  don't sell they will be going to the abattoir for dogs meat. This is a very hard decision as I have breeding them  since 1977.
It is a pity that the Angora Goat Breed society folded as it kept the interest of breeders, what with our herd book system which kept a record of our stud book stock going back to the Banksia herd and also sections for graded up animals. We even had a kid recording system where the doe was listed within a month of their birth with the sire and number and  sex of her kids. Kids that were kept were then  registered in the appropriate section. That way there was a true record of breeding as you can't rely on memory. A true record of their breeding is important. We had shows which also kept everyone interested.
It  doesn't seem so important now to register animals, even graded up ones. There are so few registered now and it is very sad as I think the registered Australian Heritage Angora goat will eventually die out.
I hope to see more goats being registered in the PAIRS website to help the breed continue into the future.
Val

Lill Roberts

Dec 30, 2013, 3:38:33 AM12/30/13
to heritage...@googlegroups.com, mro...@netspace.net.au

G’Day Everyone,

While your email Val wasn’t a surprise, it is still very, very sad.  I understand how hard the decision must have been and I do hope that someone who is interested in breeding these delightful goats will buy the few you have for sale.

I’ve just registered our 2012 kids on PAIRS and with Val no longer breeding, it seems that Roger and I are the only people still breeding these goats.  If I’m wrong about this, please correct me, as I would love to know that we are not on our own.

Thanks Val for your amazing contribution to this breed.  It owes its preservation to you.

May the New Year bring your health back, and when it does may you continue to breed your goats into the future.

Best wishes

Lill

Helen Repacholi

Jan 1, 2014, 1:19:59 AM1/1/14
to Aus Heritage Angora Goats
Dear Val

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma and the decision to sell your heritage angoras.  I sincerely hope that someone will take a great interest in buying your goats and continue the breeding.
Unfortunately my few acres wont support any more goats.  Sorry I cant help  but I have had a few light bulb moments   and I hope you don't find these suggestions irritating -

  • I wonder if an article   in Mohair Australia ( or the local newspaper) about your situation and  your contribution to the Heritage angora goat  breeding program will stir some interest  from a reader in continuing the heritage line ?  But perhaps you have already thought of that.

  • Would you like me to send an email around to the members of our NE Region Angora breeders groups ? There may be someone who would be interested in heritage goats  for conservation purpose , along side their other angora goat enterprise.

  • What about the TV program  Better Homes and Gardens with Harry Cooper the vet - he may do a segment  to promote the Heritage breed  and find a genuine buyer?

Best wishes Val and I hope you have a happy ending to the story very soon.

Regards Helen

Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 16:33:55 -0800
From: moh...@alphalink.com.au

To: heritage...@googlegroups.com
Subject: I think this must be the quietest lot of Groups on the internet.

Heather Morrissey

Jan 2, 2014, 4:57:34 PM1/2/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
OMGooodness I am so interested I would love to purchase
them all I would need to purchase others to fill a crate to Canada can you help 902=324-6347 mobile
land line 1-902-3 512556

Val Donald

Jan 3, 2014, 3:50:41 AM1/3/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
dear Heather
Not sure what is involved but how many goats to fill a crate. maybe we could find enough for you.
regards

Heather Morrissey

Jan 3, 2014, 1:17:58 PM1/3/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
a create will hold 9-10 alpacas aprox. 15 goats that's a guess I have friends that ship into Canada Australian Alpacas I will call them maybe we can divide the shipment to bring them in together. Sheep might be another option to add with the goats to fill the crate. it is extremely expensive to fly them so we must be wise how to plan this properly. Color genetics is of interest will these originals be carriers of the colored gene?

I shipped miniature llamas to the UK and it is very possible to have this done I have the shipping contacts.

right now most government offices are closed here we are having a heck of a snow storm 30 cm -22C not nice today so they closed today early. Monday I can get information to send you.

I may just consider getting down to see you and get the ball rolling

Val Donald

Jan 5, 2014, 4:09:51 AM1/5/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
dear Heather
It would be lovely to see you if you could come to Australia.
I have someone interested in one of my bucks and an older doe which leaves two older does and two 12 month old ones. so you will need at least another 10.
Jackie if you are reading this you might want to sell yours as you have often expressed the wish to do so. And Lill I'm sure you must have a few spares.
Apart from that I don't have any other suggestions.
my breed does carry the colour gene

Jackie Stenford

Jan 5, 2014, 3:40:42 PM1/5/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com, heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Very sad to hear about your situation Val. I know it must have been a difficult decision as mine was.
I only have 3 wethers left that I'll probably keep so I don't have any to offer unfortunately.
Hope all are well.
Regards
Jackie

Sent from my iPhone

Val Donald

Jan 5, 2014, 4:41:17 PM1/5/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
dear Heather
I forgot to include one buck in my last email which makes five from me. I did some research into some old emails last night . Back in 2002 a lady from the US was keen to get the banksia genetics? I have a link to her website on mine. She didn't go ahead with it because it was too expensive.
there is a company called www.crispinbennett.com
Back then it cost $7,500 to cover all costs to send 3 goats to USA. that included everything from
pickup from my property in Orbost  until arrival Los Angeles airport
It included airfreight, road transport,60 days pre export quarantine,health certification, export clearance, blood testing and treatment, crate levies and their fees.
On arrival in LA they have to undergo further 30 days quarantine and testing. The cost for that was about$1,000 per goat. This covers their agistment fees, testing, import clearances for both customs and USDA quarantine
Crispins agents in LA  who manages the quarantine would also liase with the purchaser regarding shipping the goats onto them or picking them up themselves. There is no allowance for that cost in the $1,000 per goat indicated above.

I imagine it would all be the same but obviously costs will be much higher.
it all sounds rather complicated and very. expensive to me

Heather Morrissey

Jan 8, 2014, 1:31:18 PM1/8/14
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
I have a recent experience last couple of years it will cost 1000 per animal aprox, and I have agents already USDA is for USA I am in Canada which quite another situation our health protocol have a very friendly repore with Australia and New Zealand and are considered clean countries. I would have troubles bringing in animals via USA they could not come through there and I could not ship animals to them now that we had Scrapies programs implemented.