A request for some facts and figures please

Lill Roberts

Jul 24, 2011, 3:03:26 AM7/24/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

G’Day Everyone,

Val, it’s great to have you back on line.  Please keep us posted about your progress.

It’s sad to read that so many Heritage Angoras are looking for new homes.

I’d love to say: yes I’ll take all of them, but the reality is that we are waterlogged here and feed is at a premium.  We also have to consider our long term carrying capacity. Of our 29 goats 13 may be pregnant, which means in Spring we may have up to another 20 little ones.  However having said this we would like to help out if we can.  So I’m after a bit of information.

Jackie, which does do you still have and are they pregnant?

Val, which does are you looking to sell?

Jan, could you please tell me of all the animals which are listed on PAIRS, how many are still alive.  I’d be grateful if while you are doing this if you could remove Della Downs Amber from the database.  She is the doe we lost last Sunday, and as she had no progeny, there seems little point in keeping her in the records. I’d like to know just how any Heritage Angoras we can identify.

April, I’m not sure we can help with your goats: the tyranny of distance.

Would anyone be interested in letting us ‘mind’ some of your goats, either until the paddocks dry out or until health issues are no longer issues?

Many thanks everyone, roll on the drier weather.

Best wishes

Lill

Jackie Stenford

Jul 24, 2011, 6:04:08 PM7/24/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com, <heritage-angoras@googlegroups.com>
Hi all
Thanks for the offer Lil. I've decided to give it another year. It's too wet and muddy to do anything now but come spring I'll use what I've learnt to better prepare the property for next winter. This weekend I'll go and find the driest part of my property and my neighbor and make a plan to move them before winter. Fingers crossed I can find a solution.
I probably won't get a buck until I'm confident things work out though.
Val I hope things go ok with the docs. I have 2 weeks leave coming up end of august so if you need another pair of hands for a day I can come up and help out.
I left home for work this morning and the sun was coming up. Normally it's pitch black so the days are starting to get longer. That should give us some comfort.
Take care all
Jackie

Sent from my iPhone

Lill Roberts

Jul 24, 2011, 8:03:11 PM7/24/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Good on you Jackie!!!!!!

After several very ordinary weeks, this is best news I’ve heard in ages.  Hang in there!!

In your situation, I’d wait before getting a buck: there’s no hurry.  We’ll have one for you when you’re ready.

All the best

Lill

April Hanna

Jul 24, 2011, 10:26:03 PM7/24/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I have decided to keep my guys.  I just love them so much and I am really hard pressed to sell them.  I also made a promise to Val when I got my flock that I would do my utmost to try to keep the breed going.

I would be interested in taking on Val's ones that need a home.  I will need another buck anyway to put with my ones.  I was unfortunate to not have any of Andre's progeny before his untimely loss and now have Top Notch who is finally winning over the girls.  -  They didn't really like him to start off with even though he was trying really hard to win them over .....

We are lucky (in some ways) that our ground drains quite well all except for one paddock so the menagerie always have access to harder ground  -  we are just keeping them on hard feed as well to boost them a little.

I have been struggling health wise but got some good news on Friday and given new "drugs" and a new regime all should come good soon.

I am hoping to get stuck into promoting the breed in NSW  -  little is known of them and I haven't heard from John for a long time so I am unsure what he is doing with his small flock either.  I was hoping to buy them from him but he was waiting till he had his registered before selling them.  -  that was quite a while ago now since I last spoke to him.

I have smaller numbers at home so am in the postion to take on additional stock

Jackie  -  if you need a temporary home for your guys as well please let me know  -  I could arrange to pick them up at the same time if Val is happy to sell me her does and the buck.

We are on small acreage but our numbers are still low so not a problem.  Christmas time will give us little kids  -  probably only 6 bubs as all are first time mums I would not be expecting twins.

I am hoping to have some kids to take to next years Camdem show  -  the judge suggested I take the kids to showing  -  hopefully I will be able to promote the breed.

Take care everyone

April

Jul 25, 2011, 7:25:21 PM7/25/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi

am swamped with water and a 5  day workload, so lucky I spotted Lill's request while I tosh out as many emails as I can ;-D
we leave even the dead ones online/registered as they at least show the parents did have a kid that season, so it does 'add' to the parents and breeders' productivity achievements

how many alive, alas, would not know; we have about 20 I guess; no idea on other breeders

cheers
Jan
ps it won't be long before the summer heat is driving us all to distraction!

Jan Irving
Erinrac Enterprises est 1975 ABN 37 190 361 795 http://www.erinrac.com/
Erinveine Clumbers est 1958 by DVH Irving http://www.erinveine.com we're 50 years old in 2008!
postal address: PO Box 313, Upper Beaconsfield, 3808, Australia (cleared once a week)

April Hanna

Jul 25, 2011, 10:39:41 PM7/25/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is having a better day today  -  the sun has finally managed to stay out all morning today.

Lil,  I am so so sorry but I won't be able to help at the show.  We have just been hit with redundancies through the business and all our leave has been put on hold indefinitely as now we are all short staffed. (so much fun!!).  I was really looking forward to coming down and meeting everyone and taking part in the show.  Would have been a fantastic learning curve for me!!

I would still like any information / brochures you may have left over if I manage to take some kids to the Camden Show next year  -  I am looking at getting cards and banners made up.

Val,  please let me know if you are interested in selling me your does and the buck.  Could you please let me know which ones you have available.  -  (that is unless these have been promised to someone else).  Hope everything is going well with your recovery as well.

Really wish I could be closer to everyone to be able to lend a hand  -  makes it a little too hard being so far away.

take care everyone

April

Valerie Donald

Jul 26, 2011, 5:02:22 AM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

dear April

These are the animals I am selling. buck Two Up. pregnant does, Bijou, Moppit, Poppy..  Poppy is due on 11th  Sept.. I think the others will be earlier than that.

I have 6 others about 12 months old, 2 bucks and 4 does.  the does are buy Andre.  they won't be for sale until later on.  Hopefully the  buck didn't sneak in while I was in hospital.

They will be the same price as I sold them to you before.

Val

Valerie Donald

Jul 26, 2011, 8:11:55 PM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Dear April

I am so pleased you are not giving up yet. I might hang on to the 4 young does as that will give me at least 12 months not to have to handle kids.  they will only  be living on grass and a bit of hay occasionally and that will be when my son is able to do it.  He is not well either. I will be in hospital and rehab at least another 2 months or more.  I can walk but can't use my arms much. I can't dress myself and feed myself with difficulty.

so we will see what happens in 12 months. My next operation is in 4 or 5 weeks

I've just looked at pedigrees. I will need to keep Two up as the 2 young bucks are by Andre, the same as the young does. This is assuming I get back into breeding

Val.

April Hanna

Jul 26, 2011, 10:33:24 PM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi Val,

I am definitely interested in buying the does and the buck.  Do you still have the 3 does for sale or did Wendy buy two of these ones.

Please let me know what weekend would suit so that I can make the trip to come and pick them up.

Again it would need to be a Saturday so that both me and the goats can recover from the trip on the Sunday.  I guess with them being due so soon, the earlier the better so that they are not travelling when they are full term.

thanks so much  -  hope you are on the mend.

Take care