New Topic - Depression

Lynne

Mar 25, 2010, 4:29:53 PM3/25/10
to Herbs and Herbalism
We've uploaded a new page on Herbs to treat depression.

http://www.complete-herbal.com/depression/depression.htm

coffeehousehippy

Jan 1, 2013, 9:51:49 PM1/1/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
tell me if this helps you cause, i am off of my meds and want to look into
an alternative to pharms..

coffeehousehippy

Jan 1, 2013, 10:13:53 PM1/1/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
Tell me how well it goes cause i need to find away to heal  my mind  with out drugs... i rather uae herals

Lynne

Jan 2, 2013, 6:41:58 AM1/2/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget that herbs are drugs.  Many pharmaceuticals have their origins in the natural world.

I am lucky in that I have never had clinical depression, but someone I know who did used St John's Wort and it worked for him. Like many things though, there is no "one fits all" approach, depression is a complex issue and can have different causes, which is why it's best to get professional help.

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling depressed, the great thing is that you have recognised this and can tackle the problem.  The main thing is you don't have to go it alone. Tell the people around you how you are feeling and speak to your medical adviser, and let him / her know how you want to progress in your treatment.  See if there is a support group in your area too.

There are some good tips here:-

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_tips.htm
http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/depression.asp

coffeehousehippy

Jan 2, 2013, 8:40:04 PM1/2/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
i Have been to doctors all my life. they have been pushing depression and anti psych med on me to try to stabilize my being. I have learned through
.time that the disorder is better controlled by self then by outer stimuli. I just need a balance to the mix so the chaos in my mind has something to balance on

And i think that saint johns wort and 5htp might be what i neeed?

jennifer konyk

Jan 2, 2013, 7:34:42 AM1/2/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
Ok i understand i have done all that before. i am on a much better wavelength now that i can spot my signs and symptoms a head of time and through constant journaling and monthly symptom charts that i have compiled over the last 7 years i have come to terms with my grip on sanity. i am better not medicated but there are those days when i need something to at least bring the  symptoms down to a more tolerable level. i do have a doctor who gives me a script for an anxiety pill that i take prn. I have tried saint johns wort in the past with great success but my curious side wants to see if there is a better herbal mixture out there. cause usually i end up gaining a toleration to them and need to be switched to something else. i am tired of the switching and of the over whelming side effects of most of these drugs. i am better off with st john but i think i need something to keep or sustain the mood for a longer period during the times i am in crisis. I also do yoga and meditation before even thinking of meds. i would rather live a med free life but there are times that i do get off balance and need the boost..

Part of the Complete Herbal web site - http://www.complete-herbal.com

Lynne

Jan 3, 2013, 2:00:04 PM1/3/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
Great that you are keeping a journal, sometimes being mindful of our daily lives can help us in many ways. Personally, I would be wary of mixing any medication, even herbal ones. It sounds as if you're not keen on your local doctor, so do you know of a qualified herbalist who could advise you?

I have read about 5htp, but it doesn't sound that great to me.  Those words "side effects" seem to crop up a lot.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-HTP.aspx?activeIngredientId=794&activeIngredientName=5-HTP

If you are looking to boost serotonin levels, here are some good tips:-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/serotonin-boosters/#axzz2GwM4YpL1

coffeehousehippy

Jan 4, 2013, 9:32:39 AM1/4/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com

i will look into that was it st johns or sam e that i should try?

Lynne

Jan 6, 2013, 5:57:07 AM1/6/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid I have to refer you to our disclaimer here. It's not that we don't care, we're happy to discuss personal experience, herbs and alternative therapies in general, but we don't prescribe treatments, and would always recommend you visit a health professional with any problem. If you truly think it's the best route for you you can find a herbalist in the UK here: http://www.nimh.org.uk/  and in America here: http://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/

Let us know how you get on.

Important Disclaimer
The information on this web site is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any diseases. Any information presented is not a substitute for professional medical advice and should not take the place of any prescribed medication. Please do not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consultation with your physician.

jennifer konyk

Jan 6, 2013, 3:36:54 PM1/6/13
to herbsand...@googlegroups.com
i am in the usa and i am a health care professional. I maybe bipolar but i am very professional when it comes to work and my body.Not only am i a regular med professional i am also a holistic therapist who specializesanks  in reiki. i dont think i need this group and your expertise is lacking. thanks anyway