EGU 2021: Science-policy interface in hydrology

1 view

Maria-Helena Ramos

Dec 4, 2020, 6:37:04 AM12/4/20
to he...@googlegroups.com

Dear Hepexers,

Working with water challenges today and water solutions for the future is key to our societies. This means liaising with stakeholders and policy-makers to turn research into impactful actions and useful operations.

Which areas are concerned? River basin management, water allocation, impact-based hydrological forecasting, flood protection, drought risk management, climate change mitigation, ecohydrology, socio-hydrology, sustainable environmental solutions, among many others.

For this reason, we have put in place a session at EGU to discuss together the “Science-policy interface in hydrology”.

Please consider submitting an abstract to the session. It is part of the virtual EGU General Assembly 2021 (vEGU21: Gather Online | 19-30 April). https://www.egu21.eu/ (submissions are open until 13 January 2021):

HS1.2.1 - The Science-policy interface in hydrology – essentials for more impactful science

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/38761

This session provides the opportunity for discussing with policy makers and addressing the necessary skills to facilitate the uptake of science in policy formulation and implementation: how science influences policy and policies impact science? How scientists can provide easily digestible pieces of evidence to policy-makers? What are the key gaps in joining science to feasible policy solutions in the water sector? How can we use knowledge to improve policy, and vice-versa?

We invite contributions that reflect on the needs of scientists and policy makers at different levels, from local, regional to EU and international levels. Hydrologists have long contributed to produce policy briefs and provide government advice on water-related issues. This session focuses on sharing these experiences (successes or failures), case studies, narratives and best practices at different phases of the policy-making process.

Check out also our past editions:

EGU 2020: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/displays/35356

EGU 2019: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/orals/31710

Deadline: submit your abstract before Wednesday, 13 January 2021 (13:00 CET)

Best regards,

The conveners team: Maria-Helena Ramos, Wouter Buytaert, Jutta Thielen-del Pozo, Elena Toth, Micha Werner

vEGU21: Gather Online | 19-30 April

Be ready to engage, discover, and inspire this year at vEGU21: Gather Online (#vEGU21)