RE: Call for abstracts: Verification session at AMOS 2024

Bennett, James (Environment, Clayton)

Jul 27, 2023, 8:15:09 PM7/27/23
to he...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Loveday, Beth Ebert

Dear HEPEXers,

Abstract submissions are now open for the HEPEX-endorsed forecast verification session at the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (AMOS) 2024 conference.

Details:

Session 30: Advances in verification methods, tools and technology

Verification is the process of evaluating the quality of data, which includes assessing its accuracy, behaviour, and value. Evaluating predictions is crucial to determine how valuable a forecast system is and to highlight how it can be improved. When moving to a potential new or upgraded forecast system, it is crucial to understand the quality of one forecast system compared to another. Likewise, verification is also important for assessing the quality of observational data sets. Verification is used across all environmental prediction domains including weather, climate, ocean, hydrology, and sea ice. This session will bring together scientists across multiple domains to explore how forecast evaluation can be best done.

We welcome contributions from both the research and operational communities on topics such as verification methods, verification tools and software, and economic/value-based verification. We particularly encourage submissions on verification of forecasts of extreme events and the verification of impact-based forecasts.

If you have any questions, please contact me, Nick, or Beth.

We hope to see you there!

James (on behalf of Nick and Beth)

James Bennett

Senior Research Scientist | Water Forecasting

Environment  |  CSIRO

james....@csiro.au  |  +61 3 9545 2462  | +61 459 110 004

Bayview Ave Clayton VIC 3168

I work a 9-day fortnight. If you are contacting me on a Friday, my response may be delayed.

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land, sea and waters that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present.

CSIRO Australia’s National Science Agency  |  csiro.au

Bennett, James (Environment, Clayton)

Aug 27, 2023, 9:46:59 PM8/27/23
to he...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Loveday, Beth Ebert

Hi Hepexers!

A reminder that abstracts to the AMOS 2024 forecast verification session are due by this Friday, Sep 1. Details are below.

We look forward to seeing you in Canberra!

James, Beth and Nick.

James Bennett

Senior Research Scientist  |  CSIRO

I work a 9-day fortnight. If you are contacting me on a Friday, my response may be delayed.