You are invited to submit an abstract to the time-honored "Forecasting the Weather" session within the EGU General Assembly 2023, that will take place in Vienna, Austria, 23–28 April 2023.
AS1.2: "Forecasting the weather"
Forecasting the weather, in particular severe and extreme weather has always been the most important subject in meteorology. This session will focus on recent research and developments on forecasting techniques, in particular those designed for operations and impact oriented. Contributions related to nowcasting, meso-scale and convection permitting modelling, ensemble prediction techniques, and statistical post-processing are very welcome.
Topics may include:
- Nowcasting methods and systems, use of observations and weather analysis
- Mesoscale and convection permitting modelling
- Ensemble prediction techniques
- Ensemble-based products for severe/extreme weather forecasting
- Seamless deterministic and probabilistic forecast prediction
- Post-processing techniques, statistical methods in prediction
- Use of machine learning, data mining and other advanced analytical techniques
- Impact oriented weather forecasting
- Presentation of results from relevant international research projects of EU, WMO, EUMETNET, etc.
Conveners of this session are:
Yong Wang (Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology, China)
Aitor Atencia (GeoSphere Austria)
Lesley De Cruz (Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium & Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
Daniele Nerini (MeteoSwiss, Switzerland)
The deadline for abstract submission is Tuesday, 10 January 2023, 13:00 CET:
EGU2023 will take place as a hybrid conference – more information at:
Looking forward to receiving your contributions and to meeting (virtually or in person) at EGU2023!
Lesley De Cruz
On behalf of the conveners