Config Management Camp in Ghent 2023

Martin Simons

Nov 7, 2022, 10:05:20 AM11/7/22
to help-cfengine
Dear CFEngineer,

It is on again!

Hope to see you there!

Best egards,
Martin.

Marco Marongiu

Nov 8, 2022, 9:55:13 AM11/8/22
to help-c...@googlegroups.com

Hello Martin, all!

I plan to be there, too. On that subject, I'd gladly hear about hotels from others who are planning to be there. Things I care about (in no particular order):

- decent place
- decent price
- reasonable commute time to the venue (bus, preference for walk)
- plus: breakfast included
- huge plus: restaurant on-premise

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ciao
-- bronto

Martin Simons

Nov 14, 2022, 4:46:58 AM11/14/22
to help-cfengine
Dear CFEngineer,
The AT Computing guys go here:
Gezellig. Wij zitten altijd in Ibis Centrum Oprera. Niet fantastisch goed, maar goed ontbijt en een goed bed. Voordeel: Tram naar de hogeschool stopt voor de deur en voldoende parkeergelegenheid, bij het hotel en garage om de hoek.

I have to make up my mind, I myself prefer the old hotels in the town centre, but these guys go as a team. They are an Ansible Pack and collegues of mine, Ton Kersten is among them.In a nutshell, not exceptionally well, but good beds and good breakfast and the tram to the conference centre stops right at the door.

There is an abundance of restaurants in the town centre that I would like to explore.

Regard,
Martin.

Martin Simons

Dec 6, 2022, 7:02:20 AM12/6/22
to help-cfengine
Dear CFEngineer,

Registration is open!

Best regards,
Martin.

Nick Anderson

Dec 6, 2022, 12:53:30 PM12/6/22
to Martin Simons, help-c...@googlegroups.com

Martin Simons <mjcm....@gmail.com> writes:

Dear CFEngineer,

Registration is open!

And, only a few hours left to submit talk proposals. I submitted a few, I very much encourage you to submit as well.

– Nick Anderson | Doer of Things | (+1) 785-550-1767 | https://northern.tech

Martin Simons

Dec 7, 2022, 9:32:44 AM12/7/22
to help-cfengine
@your service!

The Config Management Camp 2023 Ghent organisers

Full proposal content:

Title: To Kea or not to Kea

Abstract: Do I need a commercial product to support, like ISC-KEA, in order to provide an integrated DHCP-DDNS solution, including reverse lookups?

Description: Serving names is a hot topic within organisations and when not carried out to perfection, problems arise. In this process we relate MAC addresses, IP addresses and hostnames. So, if ever a machine comes to live, it has a name, a MAC address and an optional IP address.

This is a process we like to automate in order to prevent issues, like providing: - an address from a pool by a DHCP server - registering the MAC address, hostname and IP address in the DHCP servers' backend - Dynamically update the Domain Name System, for hostname and reverse lookups

Kea is a product, by a company of fame, designed to integrate existing systems and it has the ability to administer the above. It is a commercial product, though, and you have to buy licences in order to obtain the full advantages of the product.

Is this the only way to go, or do we have an alternative available? CFEngine, like we know comes with a theoretical model, Promise Theory. Promise Theory is defined as a "model of voluntary cooperation between individual, autonomous actors or agents who publish their intentions to one another in the form of promises."

In this talk I demonstrate the fulfillment of: providing: - an address from a pool by a DHCP server - registering the MAC address, hostname and IP address in the DHCP servers' backend - Dynamically update the Domain Name System by a simple set of CFEngine policies.

These policies interact with a DHCP service and a DDNS service registering the agent to the DHCP service and the DDNS service for A and PTR records

Notes: This is a live demonstration.

Language: en

Nick Anderson

Dec 7, 2022, 9:59:54 AM12/7/22
to Martin Simons, help-cfengine
👏

Martin Simons

Dec 7, 2022, 11:18:20 AM12/7/22
to help-cfengine
What do you knowabout other CFEngine related cfp's?

Nick Anderson

Dec 7, 2022, 3:06:47 PM12/7/22
On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 10:18 AM Martin Simons <mjcm....@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you knowabout other CFEngine related cfp's?

They say submitted.