CFEngine Help: Re: CFEngine Help: New Book on Cfengine

no-r...@cfengine.com

Dec 8, 2011, 8:36:21 AM12/8/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Forum: CFEngine Help
Subject: Re: CFEngine Help: New Book on Cfengine
Author: zzamboni
Link to topic: https://cfengine.com/forum/read.php?3,24235,24237#msg-24237

Thank you Marco for the mention. Indeed the Early Release is out, it includes the first four chapters of the book, which are:
Introduction, Getting Started with CFEngine, CFEngine Basics and Using CFEngine.

The page for the book is at http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022022.do

The code is AUTHD, and it gives you 50% off the ebook version, and 40% off the print version. Since it's an early release, you are encouraged to send any feedback you have as you read it. The final book will be out sometime in early 2012.

Thanks!

Nicolas Charles

Dec 8, 2011, 8:53:35 AM12/8/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
I've just bought it, a couple of minutes ago, without the code ...
anyway I've have quick look at it, and it looks nice to read. I'll send
you as many feedback as I can !

Thank you
Nicolas

Diego Zamboni

Dec 8, 2011, 9:03:32 AM12/8/11
to Nicolas Charles, help-c...@cfengine.org
Hi Nico,

Great! I look forward to your feedback. Since the purpose of the book is precisely to be an introduction to CFEngine, I am really interested in your opinion of it as learning material for you team.

--Diego

Nick Anderson

Dec 8, 2011, 10:37:54 AM12/8/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
On 12/08/2011 09:27 AM, Marco Marongiu wrote:
> Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
>> The code is AUTHD
>
> No luck with this one, too: "You did not meet the criteria for this
> discount.".
>
> As O'Reilly support said, I'll wait for a few days and try again.

Try ERR20

20% off all purchases

--
Nick Anderson <ni...@cmdln.org>

Jesse Becker

Dec 8, 2011, 11:08:36 AM12/8/11
to Marco Marongiu, help-c...@cfengine.org
On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 10:27:45AM -0500, Marco Marongiu wrote:
>Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
>> The code is AUTHD
>
>No luck with this one, too: "You did not meet the criteria for this
>discount.".

Same with the USENIX discount as well...

--
Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)

no-r...@cfengine.com

Dec 12, 2011, 2:25:26 PM12/12/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Forum: CFEngine Help
Subject: Re: CFEngine Help: Re: CFEngine Help: New Book on Cfengine
Author: mikesphar
Link to topic: https://cfengine.com/forum/read.php?3,24235,24268#msg-24268

Marco Marongiu Wrote:
> Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha
> scritto:
> > The code is AUTHD
>
> No luck with this one, too: "You did not meet the
> criteria for this
> discount.".
>
> As O'Reilly support said, I'll wait for a few days
> and try again.

Just FYI, as of today at least, the "AUTHD" code worked for the ebook. (Previously it looked like it worked for the print edition, but not the e-book.)

Marco Marongiu

Dec 8, 2011, 10:25:21 AM12/8/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
> Thank you Marco for the mention.

My pleasure :)

> Indeed the Early Release is out, it
> includes the first four chapters of the book, which are:
> Introduction, Getting Started with CFEngine, CFEngine Basics and
> Using CFEngine.

Uh, from "the first four chapters" I infer it's not the full book. But
that's OK. For now ;)

> The code is AUTHD, and it gives you 50% off the ebook version, and
> 40% off the print version.

Thanks for this info. When I talked about the code, I referred to the
one that all USENIX affiliates can use to get 35% from O'Reilly. But
this is definitely better. Buying it right after pushing "send" in this
window :)

> Since it's an early release, you are
> encouraged to send any feedback you have as you read it.

If I can do that, I'll be happy to do that.

> The final book will be out sometime in early 2012.

Countdown started ;)

Ciao!
-- bronto

Carl E. Ma

Dec 8, 2011, 11:09:07 AM12/8/11
to Nick Anderson, help-c...@cfengine.org
This one works.  Nick, thanks for sharing! I am interested to read the rough cuts on safari online before the official date:-)

> The code is AUTHD, and it gives you 50% off the ebook version, and
> 40% off the print version.

Book available and bought :) Thanks

Ciao
-- bronto

Marco Marongiu

Dec 8, 2011, 10:27:45 AM12/8/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
> The code is AUTHD

No luck with this one, too: "You did not meet the criteria for this
discount.".

As O'Reilly support said, I'll wait for a few days and try again.

Ciao
-- bronto

Marco Marongiu

Dec 12, 2011, 4:32:36 PM12/12/11
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Il 12/12/2011 20:25, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
> Just FYI, as of today at least, the "AUTHD" code worked for the
> ebook. (Previously it looked like it worked for the print edition,
> but not the e-book.)

I reported it last Friday, when I successfully bought it. Did my email
arrive? I had no feedback from the messages I sent that day...

Ciao
-- bronto

Nick Anderson

Feb 8, 2012, 9:22:09 AM2/8/12
to help-c...@cfengine.org
On 02/08/2012 08:17 AM, Marco Marongiu wrote:
> The sshd_config example is interesting, but I think it is not general
> enough. In fact, it will actually break if the configuration includes a
> "Match" conditional block.
>
> It would be definitely a double-plus for the book if it deals with such
> situation, meaning: dealing with a configuration files which could have
> "stanzas" a-la-sshd_config, and doing the right thing.

This might have what your looking for Marco, perhaps Diego can update
his sshd promise to include a location before Match.

--
Nick Anderson <ni...@cmdln.org>
sshd_sftponly.cf

Diego Zamboni

Feb 8, 2012, 9:56:37 AM2/8/12
to Marco Marongiu, help-c...@cfengine.org
Bronto,

Thanks for the nice words. The book is in final review at the moment and about to enter final production phase. I think the final version should be out around mid-march (maybe sooner).

--Diego

On Feb 8, 2012, at 7:13 AM, Marco Marongiu <bront...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
>> Indeed the Early Release is out, it includes the first four chapters
>> of the book, which are: Introduction, Getting Started with CFEngine,
>> CFEngine Basics and Using CFEngine.
>
> I read chapters 3 and 4: congratulations. This is the tutorial CFEngine
> deserved and never had.
>
> I am looking forward for the "final" book. Any updates for the release date?
>
> -- bronto

Diego Zamboni

Feb 8, 2012, 9:59:25 AM2/8/12
to Nick Anderson, help-c...@cfengine.org
I agree this would make it more general. The book is in final draft form now, so I can't make any promises, but I'll see what I can do to incorporate this. If not, it can always be included in the next release of the book :)

--Diego
> <sshd_sftponly.cf>

Marco Marongiu

Feb 8, 2012, 8:13:23 AM2/8/12
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
> Indeed the Early Release is out, it includes the first four chapters
> of the book, which are: Introduction, Getting Started with CFEngine,
> CFEngine Basics and Using CFEngine.

Marco Marongiu

Feb 8, 2012, 9:17:34 AM2/8/12
to help-c...@cfengine.org
Il 08/02/2012 14:13, Marco Marongiu ha scritto:
> Il 08/12/2011 14:36, no-r...@cfengine.com ha scritto:
>> Indeed the Early Release is out, it includes the first four
>> chapters of the book, which are: Introduction, Getting Started with
>> CFEngine, CFEngine Basics and Using CFEngine.
>
> I read chapters 3 and 4: congratulations. This is the tutorial
> CFEngine deserved and never had.

I have a comment, though.