Sharing CFEngine policies and practical examples

11 views
Skip to first unread message

Richard Jones

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 5:49:09 PM (4 days ago) Oct 5
to CFEngine
Hi all,

I've been using CFEngine for years to manage a small but mixed unix
environment (FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris while it still compiled) and I'm
thinking about publishing some of my policies and supporting scripts in
case they're useful to others.

These cover things such as certificate deployment, LDAP/Kerberos
integration, automounted NFS home directories, and bootstrapping
machines with cloud-init before handing them over to CFEngine.

They've evolved around my own infrastructure, so they're not a
ready-made framework. My thought was to start with a few self-contained
examples in a public Git repository, with a README explaining the
problem, dependencies, assumptions and how to adapt each one. For the
more involved setups, I'd include a write-up showing how the pieces fit
together.

Would that be a useful format? Would people prefer individual bundles,
worked examples, or a broader view of the policy structure?

I'm happy to start small with something people would actually find
useful, rather than dump years of accumulated policy on the list or to a
repo :-)

Cheers,
Richard

(I notice this list is very quiet these days, are we quietly dying?)

--
junix.systems/privacy

Lars Erik Wik

unread,
Oct 6, 2026, 5:37:14 AM (4 days ago) Oct 6
to help-cfengine
Hi Richard,

Have you checked out https://build.cfengine.com/? It's a platform where you can share self contained policy as modules.

To get started building a policy module the following command can be very helpful:
```
$ pipx install cfengine
$ cfengine init --policy-module
```

Follow the instructions in https://github.com/cfengine/build-index/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md when you are ready to publish you module.

Best,
Lars Erik
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages