desired state mgmt for Web browser

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Dec 19, 2022, 1:15:48 PM12/19/22
to help-cfengine
Hi,

I just realized I need CFEngine for my web browser.  :)

I want my tabs in certain order, e.g.:
First tab - Slack
Second tab - Gmail
Third tab - Calendar
Fourth tab - AWS console

I use Chrome for my Web browser, and I've got it configured to auto-open those four in that order, and then I pin them which keeps them there, but sometimes I accidentally close one and have to manually re-open and re-pin it.  Other times, Chrome opens a whole new set, so now I have two Slack windows, two Gmail windows, etc. and I have to manually close the newer set.

I caught myself wishing I could manage the state of my Web browser with CFEngine.

Yours fondly,
-at

--
Founder
Vertical Sysadmin, Inc.

Nick Anderson

Dec 19, 2022, 1:34:09 PM12/19/22
to Aleksey Tsalolikhin, help-c...@googlegroups.com

Aleksey Tsalolikhin <ale...@verticalsysadmin.com> writes:

I want my tabs in certain order, e.g.: First tab - Slack Second tab - Gmail Third tab - Calendar Fourth tab - AWS console

I caught myself wishing I could manage the state of my Web browser with CFEngine.

Sounds like a good case for custom promise type if you can figure out how to actually probe and poke chrome into that state. Then run that policy from a systemd user timer or something.

Sounds nice :D

– Nick Anderson | Doer of Things | (+1) 785-550-1767 | https://northern.tech