serving https with apache and helma

pgio

Oct 20, 2011, 7:38:23 PM10/20/11
to Helma
I've got a situation where I need to make secure (https) connections
to my Helma app (for Facebook.) We've got the certificate installed on
the server. What I want is advice for the current best practice for
connecting Apache and Helma - via AJP13? Easy to enable in helma, not
so easy to configure Apache. mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp? I've also read
that I could configure apache to listen on port 443 and forward those
connections to Helma. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Pete

goss-p.com

Andreas Bolka

Oct 24, 2011, 2:47:19 PM10/24/11
to he...@googlegroups.com
hi pete!

On Fri Oct 21 01:38:23 +0200 2011, pgio wrote:
> I've got a situation where I need to make secure (https) connections

> to my Helma app (for Facebook.) [..] What I want is advice for the

> current best practice for connecting Apache and Helma - via AJP13?

I'd go with plain HTTP proxying (mod_proxy + mod_proxy_http) which is
easy to set up and performs well.

In combination with mod_rewrite, all that's needed is a simple:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8080/my_app/$1 [P,L]

in your vhosts you want to pass on to Helma (and Helma listening on port
8080, of course).

> I've also read that I could configure apache to listen on port 443 and
> forward those connections to Helma.

Yes, just add an SSL vhost to your Apache and proxy requests to Helma as
well. Apache will then effectively function as HTTPS "terminator".

Hope that helps.

--
Regards,
Andreas

Pete Giovagnoli

Nov 1, 2011, 3:44:01 PM11/1/11
to he...@googlegroups.com
What I ended up doing was using mod_proxy and mod_ajp and settting up
Helma to listen for ajp on port 8009, using this page as a guide:

http://rimuhosting.com/mod_jk2_and_mod_proxy_ajp.jsp

so everything gets forwarded from Apache and port 443 to Helma and
then back to Apache from Helma and served out on 443.

Seems to be working fine.