FRP game development info

yetat...@gmail.com

May 18, 2014, 1:03:39 AM5/18/14
to helm...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Im Mario, a junior game developer.
About 6 months ago, starting when I begin to programming gameplay, I feel really unexpresive the imperative languages for writing gameplay. That searching become interesting when I started learning functional programming.

The point is, in this moment I dont see useful information or experiences in "functional gamedev"... So Im wishing read some experiences about developing games with that paradigm, and more specific, Helm.
Also, if there is some playable demo please, link!

Thanks

Zack Corr

May 19, 2014, 8:02:34 PM5/19/14
to yetat...@gmail.com, helm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario!

You are unlikely to find anything amazing tutorial-wise (especially on my unfinished docs for Helm, which I've been on hiatus from unfortunately) for any functionality reactive game development because it's not particularly fleshed out. However, I would recommend you look at Elm if you are new to functionally reactive game development, because it will be easier to get you started with that. Helm is inspired by Elm and is mainly for those who want to use Haskell libraries / typeclasses rather than the limited language features that Elm has. Elm will be much better for you to get started with and there are plenty of tutorials for it, including the usual suspects like Pong.

Pirmin Schneider

Jun 3, 2014, 5:39:08 PM6/3/14
to helm...@googlegroups.com
There are some playable demos in the repo on github.