[Hx] New functionality

Lenny Eiger eiger@databright.com

Jul 22, 2022, 4:58:15 AMJul 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Hi everyone.

I am excited to announce that we just finished an exciting new feature for our hxConnector system.

One of our clients logs contacts with each of their clients into the database. Every conversation is logged into the system, every email, and so on.

We built a system where they could simply forward an email from one of their clients to a specific address, and within moments, the data was automatically entered into Helix.

To put it simply, we now have a direct email connection into Helix.

While only some of you do CRM with your system, this new functionality has broad ranging possibilities. I can see any number of people anywhere wanting to open up their iPhone and send an email directly to Helix. Perhaps one is in a warehouse, and you see some items that have a different quantity than they should. You could correct it it with an email sent from your phone. You could receive orders from your customers via email and send them directly into Helix. The sky's the limit.

Keeping you posted on what we're up to...

Thanks for reading...

Lenny
ei...@databright.com

Elton Darby elton.darby@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2022, 10:33:41 AMJul 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Lenny,

Very cool!  What are the middleware requirements?  Demo avail?

FWIW; I went down this road in 2018 with a goal to archive all of my many email accounts and archived email data going back many years (since the mid-90's), into Helix, to maintain such going forward, allowing me to query current CRM data and merge it into my Helix based CRM using Fred Stephenson's Mail2Helix application for emails (I'm also merging text-message data).  There were setbacks given the age, formatting and diversity of the data to make it usable/optimal for database use and the overhead was significant, thus I started using MailSteward Pro which painlessly handled the massive initial archive and maintains automatic daily archives all of my 1m+ emails and all attachments into MySQL (or MariaDB's "drop in replacement" for MySQL, in my case), where Qilan routines query and synchronize my Helix CRM from the MySQL/MariaDB database.  Yet, I'm always looking for a "better mouse trap" ;)

Best; Elton

---------------------
Elton Darby
---------------------
Sent from my iPhone

Lenny Eiger eiger@databright.com

Jul 22, 2022, 1:08:55 PMJul 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Elton,

The initial goal here was not to put every email into Helix, tho' that can certainly be done. They already have a mail server that handles this efficiently. The goal was to email something - anything - to an address and bring in specific information contained in the email into Helix. We have even allowed specific fields that can be filled in to additionally categorize the entry. We can even parse attachments if we want to.

We built it using our hxConnector application, which talks to just about anything. It is very flexible. We have dynamically connected wireless devices, web pages, of course, external databases, both inserting and requesting data, we have a notification system that a can send texts, emails, and even call people, based upon events inside of Helix. And, of course, multiple mobile apps with bi-directional syncing. Everything is dynamic.

There are protocols in place for what needs to be in Helix to make all this possible, and deigns for how to get things in and out of the collection. All organized and clear.

Hope this answers your question..

Lenny

Elton Darby elton.darby@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2022, 1:39:48 PMJul 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
The initial goal here was not to put every email into Helix, tho' that can certainly be done. They already have a mail server that handles this efficiently.

Lenny,

Yes, I understand; my goal was to aggregate email data spanning over many years and many different email servers, archives, formats and sources, cull duplicates, include attachments, etc., etc., into an large database and provide the ability to perform multi-value or SQL query/search capabilities, as well as provide synchronization of my Helix CRM, updated with email and text-messages under specific criteria -- not a mail server capable project, yet was just FYI.

The goal was to email something - anything - to an address and bring in specific information contained in the email into Helix. We have even allowed specific fields that can be filled in to additionally categorize the entry. We can even parse attachments if we want to.

Yes; very cool -- thus my interest.

Hope this answers your question..

What are the middleware requirements?  Demo avail?

Best; Elton

-------------------
Sent from my iPhone

Lenny Eiger eiger@databright.com

Jul 22, 2022, 1:48:24 PMJul 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Elton,

The middleware requirement is our hxConnector. It runs in node.js.

We don't have a demo. It is not a general purpose email importer. The connector can do anything. Every one of the things we have been requested to accomplish has been very specialized. Each one therefore, has been a custom install. It does not simply replace a Helix Client. It isn't that the Helix protocols can't be learned, they can, and by anyone here. However, the most efficient way has been custom programming, right in the Helix database...

Lenny

Craig S. Steele steele@exogi.com

Jul 28, 2022, 12:59:10 PMJul 28
to Helix-L Discussion List
>We built a system where they could simply forward an email from one
>of their clients to a specific address, and within moments, the data
>was automatically entered into Helix.

Very cool and could cover a lot of uses! Could you say a little
about what kind of security mechanisms are used to temper the hostile
environment of the modern Internet of Threats (IoT)?

Thanks, Craig

Lenny Eiger eiger@databright.com

Jul 28, 2022, 6:34:36 PMJul 28
to Helix-L Discussion List
Sure.

The email is ignored if it doesn't have an API key in it.

It has to from a known sender, saved in Helix, and have a correct email of a client contact.

It does not receive email on its own, it uses an address set up by the mail server. The mail server has the normal, required security.

It is basically, secure.

Lenny