[Hx] Helix's Discreet Self-Repair

voyer keganlaw.com

Sep 13, 2021, 11:51:31 PM9/13/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
I’ve been watching more carefully the results of Helix Utility when I quit and run Utility after a couple hours of
constant use (Helix RADE, User Mode, macOS 10.14.7 Mojave on MacBook Pro Dec 2016 and on High Sierra 10.13.6 on MacBook Air Mid 2011).

Recently (11Sep2021)
I ran Utilities at 5:59, Detail reported 2 Actor (relation) records had invalid indices, after 3 Utility passes,
no detectable problems.

I ran Utilities on a slightly earlier backup, from 5:11 am. Utility reported 10 Actor (relation) records had
invalid indices.

So I infer that on its own, Helix fixed several indices.
Maybe from Save, Quit, relaunch.
Maybe some fixing takes more than5 or 60 or more seconds.
Maybe sometimes one should wait an extra minute before Quit, before Save to
give Helix time to cleanup.

When Utilities does not report no detectable problems the detail report (ie error in collection),
there are usually 1 to 10 bad indices often in Actor, sometimes other relations, and/or
the final run, (usually the 3rd) hangs on Checking Record Listings
(after Checking Byte Streams, before Checking the free space,, which doesn’t appear when hung).
with Force Quit window soon reporting Helix nonresponsive (waiting a minute,
sometimes 5 minutes).

Any guidance when Helix does its own “Utility” fixing—especially bad indices and
Record Listings—when it doesn’t,
and what kinds of things hang Checking Record Listings?

Daniel Kegan, Chiago