[Hx] Back Up Location

Gregory McGrath admin@australianbluegrass.com

May 24, 2022, 8:07:50 PMMay 24
to Helix-L Discussion List

I have a question for or those using Mojave via Parallels.

I backup daily using Time Machine. However while it is not required yet, I am wondering where the Parallels files reside within the Time Machine Backup.

I have searched but cannot locate anything remotely similar.

Gregory McGrath
ad...@australianbluegrass.com
http://australianbluegrass.com
Ph 0429 062 589
Ph 07 5494 7463

Quipu Pty Ltd lee@quipu.com.au

May 24, 2022, 9:00:20 PMMay 24
to Helix-L Discussion List
Which time machine are you talking about - the host or the VM?
The host Time Machine sees the VM as one file which may not be useful.
The VM Time Machine sees the individual files in its virtual hard drive and, unless you have specified an external hard drive, will save its backups in there as well. That is suboptimal.

My direct experience of TM is that it has failed my on every occasion that I’ve needed to recover helix collections.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 May 2022, at 10:08, Gregory McGrath ad...@australianbluegrass.com <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

EmailLogo.png

Lenny Eiger eiger@databright.com

May 25, 2022, 2:07:20 PMMay 25
to Helix-L Discussion List
Gregory,

Many backup programs specifically exclude the virtual machine files. They are as large as the hard drive size you specified.

If you want a secure backup app, give ChronoSync a try. They even have a very inexpensive option for off site backup. Professional level backup...

Lenny

On May 24, 2022, at 5:06 PM, Gregory McGrath ad...@australianbluegrass.com <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

I have a question for or those using Mojave via Parallels.

I backup daily using Time Machine. However while it is not required yet, I am wondering where the Parallels files reside within the Time Machine Backup.

I have searched but cannot locate anything remotely similar.
Gregory McGrath
ad...@australianbluegrass.com
http://australianbluegrass.com
Ph 0429 062 589
Ph 07 5494 7463

<EmailLogo.png>

Anton as@sommer-equity.de

May 25, 2022, 7:08:21 PMMay 25
to Helix-L Discussion List
To Lenny,
I am weighing to move on to BigSur and a M1 machine.
If so, in past remarks I remember, you favor VM rather than Parallels.
If one needs to use a Virtual Machine running older Mac OS, is that not in conflict with Apple policy ?

Regards
Tony Sommer

Bill Spencer spencerconsulting@gmail.com

May 25, 2022, 7:18:41 PMMay 25
to Helix-L Discussion List
You cannot virtualize an Intel Mac machine on an Apple Silicon machine. Best bet is to run Helix in Mojave on a compatible machine and use screen sharing from your M1 machine

On May 25, 2022, at 4:08 PM, Anton a...@sommer-equity.de <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

To Lenny,
I am weighing to move on to BigSur and a M1 machine.
If so, in past remarks I remember, you favor VM rather than Parallels.
If one needs to use a Virtual Machine running older Mac OS, is that not in conflict with Apple policy ?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-26 um 01.07.05.png

Hel...@gibhenry.com

May 25, 2022, 8:19:28 PMMay 25
to Helix-L Discussion List

take a look at the new intel mac stats.

Tim

Lenny Eiger eiger@databright.com

May 25, 2022, 9:51:06 PMMay 25
to Helix-L Discussion List
Tony,

Bill is correct. To be clear, you can NOT run Mojave on an M1, no matter what VM software one chooses.

That said, Apple is being ridiculous. Every software company needs to test their software with every recent Mac OS. One could buy a machine for every OS but most of them use many Virtual OS'es on a single machine. This limitation can't be taken seriously.

Lenny

On May 25, 2022, at 4:07 PM, Anton a...@sommer-equity.de <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

To Lenny,
I am weighing to move on to BigSur and a M1 machine.
If so, in past remarks I remember, you favor VM rather than Parallels.
If one needs to use a Virtual Machine running older Mac OS, is that not in conflict with Apple policy ?

Gregory McGrath admin@australianbluegrass.com

May 26, 2022, 4:56:28 PMMay 26
to Helix-L Discussion List
Thanks Lee.

I will explore further.

Greg.

On 25 May 2022, at 10:59 am, Quipu Pty Ltd l...@quipu.com.au <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

Which time machine are you talking about - the host or the VM?
The host Time Machine sees the VM as one file which may not be useful.
The VM Time Machine sees the individual files in its virtual hard drive and, unless you have specified an external hard drive, will save its backups in there as well. That is suboptimal.

My direct experience of TM is that it has failed my on every occasion that I’ve needed to recover helix collections.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone

Gregory McGrath admin@australianbluegrass.com

May 26, 2022, 4:57:51 PMMay 26
to Helix-L Discussion List
Thanks Lenny.

I think I will just copy the Helix files over to the Monterey drive when needing back up.