[Hx] mail login failure 10.13.6 - OFF

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Elton Darby elton.darby@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 22, 2022, 1:29:29 PMJun 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Suddenly today @ 10:30am CT I can no longer login to an office365 Mail_server using a 10.13.6 machine; yet no issue with my iPhone or via a web browser, thus I assume it my be some authorization issue on the old OS -- I tested on a 10.14.x Parallels VM and it worked -- anyone else having this issue? I know I can move to 10.14x and still use Helix, yet a few other apps will not work, thus have refrained, Lol. Best Elton

-------------------
Sent from my iPhone


=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You received this message because you are subscribed to the mailing list <Hel...@gibhenry.com>.
To unsubscribe, send an email <Helix...@gibhenry.com>; to switch to DIGEST mode, send an email to <Helix-L...@gibhenry.com>; to contact a human being, send an email to <Helix-L...@gibhenry.com>.
Google archive since 20 August 2006: http://groups.google.com/group/helix-l.
Basic archive since March 2017: https://gibhenry.com:9100/Lists/Helix-L/List.html

Wade Brezina wade@thewintrack.com

unread,
Jun 22, 2022, 1:39:03 PMJun 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Elton

I am confused. Running 10.14.6 and Helix on this machine that I am typing on. Don't much care for the OS. 10.12 was definitely better, however Helix does work on it.

Too bad you are stuck on such an awful mail server. So many security breaches necessitating poor updates in the name of security... If it were me, that would be the first thing I would move away from.

Wade

Christian Buser macchristian@gazeta.pl

unread,
Jun 22, 2022, 1:59:09 PMJun 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
Hello Elton Darby elton...@gmail.com. On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:28:56 -0500, you wrote:

> Suddenly today @ 10:30am CT I can no longer login to an office365
> Mail_server using a 10.13.6 machine; yet no issue with my iPhone or
> via a web browser, thus I assume it my be some authorization issue on
> the old OS

What program do you use to access your mail account? I suppose a certificate problem - If you use Apple Mail, you can try to swith to a non-SSL connection.

Uncheck the "use SSL/TLS" checkboxes and change the ports to those used fo non-SSL connections:

POP = 110 (instead of 995)
IMAP = 143 (instead of 993)
SMTP = 587 (instead of 465)

> - I tested on a 10.14.x Parallels VM and it worked --
> anyone else having this issue? I know I can move to 10.14x and still
> use Helix, yet a few other apps will not work, thus have refrained,

What are those who do not work on 10.14? The problem with 32bit apps comes only with 10.15 (Catalina) and up.

Good luck
Christian
--
Christian Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: https://www.chance-for-children.org

Elton Darby elton.darby@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 22, 2022, 2:11:49 PMJun 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
> If you use Apple Mail, you can try to swith to a non-SSL connection.
>
> Uncheck the "use SSL/TLS" checkboxes and change the ports to those used fo non-SSL connections:
>
> POP = 110 (instead of 995)
> IMAP = 143 (instead of 993)
> SMTP = 587 (instead of 465)

I'm using Mail.app. IIRC, our Mail_server requires SSL -- yet I'll test your suggestions. Thanks!;


> What are those who do not work on 10.14? The problem with 32bit apps comes only with 10.15 (Catalina) and up.

Well; I know that my preferred version of Panorama does not work past 10.13x, likely my old ScanSnap scanner, etc. -- IIRC, 10.14x is not 100% computable with all 32 bit, as is 10.13x.

Best; Elton

-------------------
Sent from my iPhone

Elton Darby elton.darby@gmail.com

unread,
Jun 22, 2022, 2:12:02 PMJun 22
to Helix-L Discussion List
> Running 10.14.6 and Helix on this machine that I am typing on. Don't much care for the OS. 10.12 was definitely better, however Helix does work on it.

Heck, I preferred 10.11x; had to go to 10.13x as some websites would not work last year or so.


> Too bad you are stuck on such an awful mail server. So many security breaches necessitating poor updates in the name of security... If it were me, that would be the first thing I would move away from.

The company I work for made that decision, not me ;)


> I am confused.

What is confusing?

-------------------
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 22, 2022, at 12:38 PM, Wade Brezina wa...@thewintrack.com <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:
>
> Elton
>
> I am confused. Running 10.14.6 and Helix on this machine that I am typing on. Don't much care for the OS. 10.12 was definitely better, however Helix does work on it.
>
> Too bad you are stuck on such an awful mail server. So many security breaches necessitating poor updates in the name of security... If it were me, that would be the first thing I would move away from.
>
> Wade
>
>
>
>> On Jun 22, 2022, at 12:28 PM, Elton Darby elton...@gmail.com <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:
>>
>> Suddenly today @ 10:30am CT I can no longer login to an office365 Mail_server using a 10.13.6 machine; yet no issue with my iPhone or via a web browser, thus I assume it my be some authorization issue on the old OS -- I tested on a 10.14.x Parallels VM and it worked -- anyone else having this issue? I know I can move to 10.14x and still use Helix, yet a few other apps will not work, thus have refrained, Lol. Best Elton
>>
>> -------------------
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages