[Hx] Any experience with keepass ?

Anton Sommer

Jul 17, 2021, 6:57:48 AMJul 17
to Helix-L Discussion List
my sons keep me reminded, that storing my passwords in a helix collection is no assured method.
What would yr response to it.?

rgds
Tony Sommer

Gib Henry

Jul 17, 2021, 9:44:47 AMJul 17
to Helix-L Discussion List

Well, at a minimum, be sure your connections are encrypted!  However, as far as I know, that does not encrypt the data itself, which means someone accessing the server or an unattended connected client could get at the info.

Suggestion:  use a cross-platform password manager instead.  This makes your passwords available on MacOS, iOS, *nix, and Windoze.  Good ones encrypt your password data on your own machine, often using a series of random words as a key, before they ship it off to the cloud.  That means no one can see your password data, including the cloud operator.  Personally, I use two (Blur and Bitwarden) just in case of a problem with one of them.  Cheers,

Gib

as

Jul 17, 2021, 12:50:13 PMJul 17
to Helix-L Discussion List
Tku gib

Anton Sommer....sent from my IPhone

Lenny Eiger

Jul 17, 2021, 3:38:17 PMJul 17
to Helix-L Discussion List
Tony,

Your sons are correct. It's absolutely foolish to keep passwords in Helix.

I use 1password. It's fantastic. It also allows secure sharing, either family or business or both. One sets up different "Vaults" and they can be shared with other people. It's available on every one of your devices.

If you want to access that web site on your phone, it's all integrated. Apple bought 100,000 copies... I can't really say enough good about it.

It's also the industry leader so there's a good chance they will be around in the future.

Lenny

> On Jul 17, 2021, at 3:57 AM, Anton Sommer <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:
>
> my sons keep me reminded, that storing my passwords in a helix collection is no assured method.
> What would yr response to it.?
>
> rgds
> Tony Sommer

Tim

Jul 17, 2021, 4:07:00 PMJul 17
to Helix-L Discussion List
Thanks Lenny. I stopped using it on my workhorse 2009 MBP with 10.8
because it isn't supported. Will see if it works on the M1 Silicon laptop.
Tim