Re: [Hx] 32-bit Programs on M-series SOCs

Tim

Aug 18, 2021, 6:45:13 PM8/18/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
Hasn't been much Helix traffic and not sure what happened to the next
online meeting. I am an admitted computer hack, but for various reasons
think I see systemic failures in the Cloud approach to computing.

I see the new APFS approach as a disaster. It appears that it partitions
my drive into 2x 2tb - one labeled data. Despite the tremendous speed
improvement from the chip technology, I do not sense that it will make
up for the inefficiencies of such a system, because referred addressing
necessitates mixing data and location. It turns your computer into a
glorified keyboard, with greater and greater inefficiencies managing the
networking traffic to access bytes on your own computer, Think the
Aiport Hub system and Post Office mailing systems now utilized.

I link an article about identified flaws in the file system and another
on the issue if security compared to a peer-to-peer (VPN) system. When I
was in junior high we spend hours over 2 years trying to trisect and
angle with a compass and a straight edge. Learned a lot about futility,
but also the need to work smart. I cannot access data made with older
systems - the concept of archive, because the newer systems sabotage it
happening.

If you throw away the gas engine governor, it will rev really fast - and
then explode. Dumbe terminals and dumb ideas seem to make sense to those
who now control our financial fortunes.

https://mac-optimization.bestreviews.net/four-apfs-problems-to-be-aware-of/
https://holest.com/qp2p-system/peer-to-peer-vs-cloud.html

I suspect the client-server model works pretty well for databases
because my human interface is persistent, rather than changing layout
with no context or standards. What I now see of EPIC, the system most
large Corporate Hospitals are using to replace Doctors and Nurses, is
super computing Candy Crush - disorganized and disorienting and failing us.

Every IT I speak with agrees and tell me they have been neutralized and
then fired. Our experts are failing us in every field, purged and
replaced by Central Party Operatives. Big data is converging to noise,
which means randomized strategies will maximize performance - no need to
know anything.

Oops- 40 million T-Mobile subscribers info stolen - maybe mine. Only
poepl whi can;t get my data is me.

Tim

txercoupemuseum.org

Aug 18, 2021, 9:00:56 PM8/18/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
Hi Tim,

As (perhaps) the most vocal, admitted Luddite on this list…why am I not surprised? Still using a 2018 Mac mini as my primary computer and Mojave.

I have only used limited cloud storage, and NEVER anything not otherwise backed up locally. I use POP email, NOT IMAP, for the same reason.

My storage needs are relatively modest (for these days) and inexpensive. So I back up once Sunday just before I turn in, and again Wednesday.

My entire “active” digital life and history presently consists of a total of 331GB. My backups are stored remotely in a separate building on my rural property.

Other World Computers (OWC) upgrades older Mac internal HDs with SSDs.
I buy original Apple equipment 500GB “good but removed” HDs from them for less than $20 each and purchase inexpensive cases.

After reformatting to ASPS, each is divided into two or more partitions (as appropriate to my needs). I currently separate my data into two (approximately equal) “active” and “archival" (seldom changes) separate backups. These are big enough that I can preserve an earlier backup too.

Thus, if any used drive fails, or my computer is lost to fire, theft, or failure, I have lost, at most, only 3-4 days. I also have similar and multiple backups of my first Intel Mini back to 06/20/16, one for my G4 Mini as of 05/01/16, a G4 iBook back to 02/19/16 and my G3 Ibook purchased in 2003 to move to OSX.

Thus I don’t have to trust anybody or anything; although someday I must get a new Mini (and set up a system for that again from “scratch”. Sigh.

Best!

WRB

Dana Barnard

Aug 19, 2021, 12:46:37 PM8/19/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
Interesting thread to me.   One of our divisions is having to qualify
for new CMMC digital security certification and it is a very difficult
and very comprehensive standard.  We won't stand for certification until
August of 2022, and we will have spent a huge amount of money by then.
Regarding this topic,  one of our consultants just told us that onsite
digital storage is preferable with encrypted offsite back-ups.
Further, having helix accessible only locally , and on it's own subnet,
is best.   We already have both local and remote back-ups, with the
remote back-ups being on our facility but, in a different state.   No
cloud based back-up with the big guys.   So, perhaps getting serious
about the hacking threats means taking a step back from "all data
available on all devices all the time".

Dana

txercoupemuseum.org wrote on 8/18/21 7:00 PM:
--

Dana E. Barnard
CEO

Tim

Aug 19, 2021, 5:16:02 PM8/19/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
"one of our consultants just told us that onsite digital storage is
preferable with encrypted offsite back-ups."

This is what I liked. Was what my office used that IT set up. An SSD
RAID on the Mini, a nightly Ethernet backup to SSD using Carbon Copy
Cloner drive locked up at night. Never used offsite directly, took the
weekly drive offsite and copied to another drive.

I have mentioned elsewhere that MEDITECH had an onsite client/server
that was fast as heck and reliable with offsite backup, that I really
liked. We used paper charts, the most effective way to do Labor and
Delivery. Current systems are designed to hide data and treat it as
Military Grade Top Secret stuff. It used a dashboard interface which was
clean, and all windows remained open so no opening delays going back and
forth as is what EPIC does tying 3rd Party modules together with
Microsoft scripting.

My own druther for hospitals would be to go in the direction of
OpenVIsta which I had not used, but many Clinical people I know in the
VA liked it. Federal Government dumped it for Microsoft/EPIC which has
so much network traffic and uses scripting and html, which is why we are
in the mess. Most of the data we need except for LAB/IMAGES is not live,
so making access to all the archived data as if live (web) is wasteful.
Entering data and clinically using data is frankly not compatable with
data mining. And no one is writing decent interfaces because of all the
web rendering, which is again pretty non-standard.

I tried to put up for the third time a Wordpress site - reminds me of
the Fortran days when you had to buy massive expensive libraieis that
you could not figure out, and FILEMAKER also that was accessable to
non-programmers using purchased scripts. I found FILEMAKERSr's jump
outword from the database program thru a system call from a field, as
contrasted with Helix's drill inward within the program, interesting.
One is controlled by one company (HELIX), other is not standardized at
all - the WINDOWS way. Everyone reinventing the wheel in non-compatible
and changing ways and getting paid for IT overhead, now some 25% of
office overhead.

I often wonder if Jobs had not dissed HELIX in the beginning where our
world would be. America has been described to do things every way wrong
until doing it the one way right.

Tim Bilash

Michael S. Scaramella, Esq.

Aug 24, 2021, 4:22:27 PM8/24/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
To All,

Now we know which guest operating systems Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac will, and will not, run on Macintosh computers with ARM-based SOCs. The announcement from the Parallels Senior Communications Manager is published here: Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac System Requirements. The critical language is stated most clearly in a footnote: “Running VMs on Apple M1 Mac computers in Parallels Desktop 17 requires ARM-based operating systems (OSs).…” The “bit of hope” that I referenced in my earlier message quoted in part below is no longer justified. Running all current and recent versions of Helix applications will forever require a Macintosh computer with an Intel CPU.

Michael

On Jul 29, 2021, at 7:20 PM, Michael S. Scaramella, Esq. <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

… A bit of hope is supplied by statements like the following quoted from one of the articles you referenced: “macOS Big Sur in a VM is a feature that Parallels hopes to add support for in Parallels Desktop later this year.” I have found nothing that explains how this is planned to be accomplished.…

<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>

SCARAMELLA & HOOFNAGLE
Computer Division
 ~  *  ~

<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>-=-<+>

Michael S. Scaramella, Esq.

Aug 30, 2021, 11:37:00 PM8/30/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
To All,

In a fit of wild optimism, or perhaps desperation, I decided to submit a request to Apple using the Feedback page for macOS. My submission is enclosed as a PDF file. I realize that the possibility of favorable action by Apple is remote at best, yet if some of you add your feedback to mine, maybe an enhanced version of Rosetta 2 will become a little more likely.

Michael

On Jul 29, 2021, at 7:20 PM, Michael S. Scaramella, Esq. <Hel...@gibhenry.com> wrote:

…I think that Apple should enhance Rosetta 2 included in macOS for M-series SOCs to support the Intel instructions used by the current third-party hypervisors. That would enable running older versions of macOS on virtual machines on the Intel instruction set on Rosetta 2 on M-series SOCs. Apple supported 32-bit code execution for a time much longer than I expected, so I doubt that we will see such an enhancement of Rosetta 2.…
Support Intel VT in Rosetta 2 8-30-21.pdf

Tim

Aug 31, 2021, 8:07:38 AM8/31/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
I fear the issue is an inherent problem internet security with access to the Intel system - the AFSD File Structure appears to compartmentalize the program and data so they can live in separate places; to mine and monetize the data better? (distributed vs server access to content. I will be looking to Intel's new processors to see how they handle it.

Tim Bilash

Anton Sommer

Aug 31, 2021, 9:22:57 AM8/31/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
laymen question:  how often has Apple changed the file structure management in the last 30 years ?
                             how often did it happen in the LINUX world ?
     how difficult would it be to transfer the HELIX world to the „off…Apple/ Microsoft/SAP/ AWS’s -worlds“ ?
Tony Sommer

Christian Buser

Aug 31, 2021, 5:26:25 PM8/31/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
Tony,

I can only answer your first question.

Macintosh File System (MFS) was the first file system on the Mac, introduced in 1984. Everything was on the same level of the disk and the folders were mere decoration - see <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_File_System>
Hierarchical File System (HFS) , 1985 - It has a real "tree structure" - see <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_(Dateisystem)>
Hierarchical File System Extended (HFS+), 1998 - see <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus>
Hierarchical File System Extended  (journaled) (jHFS+), 2002 - see <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus>
Hierarchical File System Extended  (journaled, case-sensitive), 2003 - see <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus>
Apple File System (APFS), 2017 - see <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System>

We had nearly 15 years where HFS+ reigned.

Christian

--
Christian Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana: https://www.chance-for-children.org

Anton Sommer

Aug 31, 2021, 7:23:41 PM8/31/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
Tku Christian,
for a 25 year old student in informatic, -15 years is a long time.  I am eager to learn if our other friends will have further comments.
The reason I was bringing up those questions is a concern, that the pace of change is ultimately an overwhelming case for QSA.
Despite all the efforts from Matt and Gil, it seems obvious, that spending so much energy for keeping pace on changes is keeping
all -me and all others- as being dependent on their ability to progress.Wil the resources be big enough to prevail ?
Given the fact, that most of us are 60 or even older, time is running out,to forward our databases to the next generation in reasonable time.
I for example do have two sons working directly or indirectly in softwore industries.
One of them is using cloud services, despite reluctance to give away privacy. (he considers his own data not as important enough, that others can make a use of it, but he
admires cloud services)
The other one is deeply involved in the Linux environment.
Both acknowledge, that privacy hardly can prevail using ever more services in the cloud.
Me being old and increasingly less flexible, experience a kind of mistrust to expose all my privacy to the cloud services.
Every new story from the hacking community is boosting my doubts.
I know, even a Helix collection can be hacked, if I expose my private network via WLAN to the outer world.
Still I hope I can decide what level of protection to my own data pool I want to apply.
I also believe there is a market out there for data sensitive people looking for solutions to keep them as private as one want them to have. Whether it will be a niche market
for older people as stubborn as I may become, or a big enough market to make a product like Helix commercially viable, is something I may not judge correctly.
Assuming it has commerciable potential, I raise the question, if we HELIX people, admiring the concept for 2 and 3 + decades should start an effort with Gild+ Matt to
lay a new foundation for HELIX. I could imagine, that there might be a future for Helix out there, if it is not  restricted to an Apple platform, which changes technical
requirements at will. Maybe financial requirements are beyond the will of people holding  the rights on HELIX. Maybe even the requirements are beyond the combined
financial muscle of the people on the Helix -List. Only a thorough planning for a business plan will be able to find out, what future might be.
What are the thoughts out there ?
I for myself will need to make a decision within two year, whether I stop using Helix and let my sons using my date in their world (LINUX) or continue using HELIX because
there is a future without being dependet on one platform.

kind regards
Tony Sommer