[Hx] Rosetta on Apple Silicon/M! eats battery on Dropbox; Other experience?

voyer keganlaw.com

Oct 29, 2021, 6:35:50 PM10/29/21
to Helix-L Discussion List
Rosetta on Apple Silicon/M! eats battery on Dropbox; Other experience?

Dropbox says Apple Silicon support in the works . . .
The Mac app only runs on M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max machines under Rosetta, which reportedly kills
the battery and uses a gig of memory …

An M1 Mac owner made a request on the Dropbox forum in June.
Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs
(M1) without Rosetta.
Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

Other Mac owners agreed that the Rosetta option is a very poor solution.
Agreed, while Dropbox does operate under Rosetta without bugs, the power and ram
resources required are silly. With dropbox running I cannot get anywhere near the
expected battery life with casual use. Quit Dropbox and we get back to some semblance
of normalcy. . . .

“Given that it took them right up until Apple discontinued 32-bit support completely to
bother recompiling Dropbox as a 64-bit binary (i.e. it took them almost 10 years), I really
wouldn’t hold my breath. At this stage, my impression is that the Dropbox development
team consists of one part-time intern in a basement.” . . .

<https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/28/dropbox-m1-support/>

Daniel Kegan, Chicago