Whether heliosearch can reduce memory usage significantly?

Jeffery yuan

Nov 7, 2014, 4:07:13 PM11/7/14
to helio...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are trying to reduce the memory usage of solr application which runs at client machine.
We want to use as less memory as possible, the speed is not very important for us, as there is only one user.

I am reading some posts from http://heliosearch.org/category/off-heap-data/and http://heliosearch.org/category/off-heap-data/, also read some articles about using bytebuffer to reduce memory usage.

I am wondering whether I can use heliosearch to reduce the memory significantly: we can sacrifice speed for it.

Thanks a lot.

Yonik Seeley

Nov 7, 2014, 5:10:25 PM11/7/14
to helio...@googlegroups.com
Heliosearch will reduce the total memory use somewhat...
- The java heap has more overhead... so keeping the same data off-heap
rather than on-heap can still yield overall savings
- You can be more aggressive in lowering the Java heap size (thus
causing Java to waste less memory).

The off-heap work was meant more for reducing garbage collection
pauses... the reduction in overall memory use is a secondary effect.

-Yonik