Performance degrades with multiple clients connected

blackberry436

Feb 15, 2013, 3:47:28 PM2/15/13
to hel...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if anyone had seen this issue. We have:
- 3 Cassandra nodes
- using CQL3 query (SELECT * from mytable...)
- mytable has composite column names created with CQL3. i.e.
create table mytable (
userid ascii,
contentid ascii,
read boolean,
location text,
size bigint,
PRIMARY KEY(userid, contentid)
- using hostPoolSize = 10 and using 3 Cassandra hosts
- all async calls in the nodejs server

I am using SoapUI to run tests against the server which is running in AWS. If I use a single thread in the SoapUI load test it averages around 500 ms round trip time to get back our content (about 150k). However, if I use multiple threads in SoapUI we seem to get stuck at downloading 350k bytes per second so the transactions per second keep going down the more threads I add.

We have isolated this to be only an issue when using helenus. When simply downloading static content the same nodejs server can deliver 9 MB per second.

Any comments or help is appreciated...

Thanks.
Carl.

SimpleSeeker

Mar 20, 2013, 1:58:20 PM3/20/13
to hel...@googlegroups.com
I'm also experiencing similar behavior and it seems to be unique to helenus; a coworker tried to do something similar with php and didn't experience the same issues. I alleviate this pain point by caching my results in memcache. Also, from profiling my code with helenus, helenus behaves like it's executing my requests sequentially instead of in parallel.

Duong

Russell Bradberry

Apr 22, 2013, 1:00:37 PM4/22/13
to hel...@googlegroups.com
This is odd and shouldn't be the case.  Helenus isn't doing anything under the covers that would force sequential reading.  This might be a limitation of the Thrift driver though.  As soon as we're done with the native CQL interface, lets test again to see.