Openscad 3D STL to Heekscnc

joe M

May 18, 2012, 10:43:47 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com, open...@rocklinux.org
Hello,

I am trying to get 3D STL from OpenScad to Heekscnc (to generate gcode).

HeeksCad does not seem to have the ability to import CSG format.
OpenScad does not seem to have the ability to export IGES or STEP
files.

Has anyone been able to render/compile something in OpenScad and
generate gcode from HeeksCnc?

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks
Joe

Normand Chamberland

May 18, 2012, 10:50:21 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Le 2012-05-18 22:43, joe M a �crit :
Hi,

It's not Heekscad related, but some people are working on a utility to
import OpenSCAD CSG files into FreeCAD. From there you could export to
STEP or BREP, then open in Heekscad/Heekscnc.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/free-cad/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2301

Be aware it's still in development.

HTH

Norm

Dan Heeks

May 18, 2012, 11:04:18 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
OpenSCAD makes STL files. These should load ok into Heekscnc.

Dan.

joe M

May 18, 2012, 11:21:44 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

They load fine into HeeksCad. But, I could not figure out how to
generate gcode from such stl file.

For a simple sketch, I would go to Machining -> Add New Milling
Operation -> Add Profiling Operation

But, If i do the same with the 3-D stl object, heekscnc complains that
there are no sketches selected even though I have the 3D object
selected.

It could be that I am missing something here.

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks
Joe

Dan Heeks

May 18, 2012, 11:25:00 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
You need to select the solid model, then do Machining -> Add New 3D
Operation -> Attach Operation.

Then, any following 2D operations will have their toolpath attached to
the 3D model.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

joe M

May 18, 2012, 11:26:27 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Let me try that.

Thanks again
Joe

joe M

May 18, 2012, 11:32:28 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

I am attaching a .stl and .csg file of the part that I am talking about.

I have a part that I generate within OpenScad. I am wondering if there
is any way of exporting the file from OpenSCAD in such a way that I
can use that file to generate the toolpaths in HeeksCAD (without the
need for adding toolpaths in HeeksCAD).

Sorry for the bother,
Joe
simple_door_stopper.stl
simple_door_stopper.csg

Dan Heeks

May 18, 2012, 11:39:42 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
In Heekscnc you can open the stl file, then select the solid, then do
Machining->New 3D Operation->ZigZag Operation.

Then do Machining->Pos Process to generate the g-code ( and see the
toolpath ).

You should get something like this
http://imagebin.org/212984

Is that what you mean?

Dan.

joe M

May 18, 2012, 11:49:13 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

That is exactly what I want.

When I try it on my machine, I get this on the console:

heekscad &
[1] 9054
--(/tmp)-----------------------------------(pts/9@main)--
Looking for default data in '/home/j'
Looking for default data in '/usr/lib'
Looking for default data in '/usr/lib/heekscnc'
--(/tmp)-----------------------------------(pts/9@main)--
close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr

Not sure if it is something pretty bad.

The other difference is that your cuts went on the Y-axis and mine
went on the X-axis. I could not figure out how to export the toolpaths
to an image.

Thanks
Joe

Dan Heeks

May 18, 2012, 11:52:40 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Mine went on the x-axis to start with too, but I selected the zigzag
operation in the "Objects" window and then, in the "Properties" window,
I edited the "direction" property ( I changed the drop-down from "X" to
"Y" ).
Then did "Post Process" again.

I am using Windows 0.18.0 installation, so I can't look into your
console text.

Dan.

joe M

May 18, 2012, 11:54:31 PM5/18/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks a lot for your help.

joe M

May 19, 2012, 4:24:40 PM5/19/12
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

On a different note, From a machinists' perspective, is there a
difference in having the toolpaths in X vs Y axis?

How did you export the image yesterday with the toolpaths?

Thanks
Joe

Bill Parks

May 31, 2018, 7:49:28 AM5/31/18
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
Hi,

I am running heekscad on ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and I do not have the New 3D operation or the ZigZag tab under machining.  Any idea why?