reproducing heekscad 3D surface documentation process, “sketch does not exist” error when editing operation

Antoine Chevrier

Mar 8, 2020, 10:15:36 AM3/8/20
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List

Hello dear Heekscad users and dear venerable Dan, Heekscad creator and maintainer.

I’m using an 1.4.0. Heekscad version on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, installed following the instruction described on https://github.com/Heeks/heekscad/wiki/Ubuntu:-Installation

I’m facing an issue trying to reproduce the surface process marvelously described on the official Heekscad documentation internet site located at this URL: https://sites.google.com/site/heekscad/help/surface

This Heekscad surface documentation page is related to « standard pocket operation process with its toolpath being applied to a sphere ».

When I arrive to the step « When you do "Post Process", you will see the pocket toolpath has been attached to the sphere.. » I’m facing an error. Indeed, a pop-windows appears, saying : ” pocket – sketch does not exist”.

Editing the operation, reveals that the surface chosen from the "surface" drop-down is attached to the operation, and reveals also that no sketch is attached to the operation – sketches = none.

So, I imagine a sketch must be created before the "Post Process". But which one ?

That you for your answer.

Nota: we’ve been using heekscad along the next 4 years to run a little CNC machine driven by LinuxCNC importing 2D Librecad dxf into Heekcad (librecad → dxf → heekscad → gcode → linuxcnc → CNC machine), but it would be more educative if we could use 3D shapes processes showing the 3D shape on screen instead showing 2D designs, and if we could apply operation to 3D surface including round surface like above part of a sphere.

Dan Heeks

Mar 8, 2020, 12:36:36 PM3/8/20
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
A surface should be selected for the pocket operation to make all it's toolpath not go below the surface.

First, make a pocket operation which correctly makes toolpath when you do Post Process.
To do this, you will need a sketch to define the pocket operation shape.

If you can get toolpath from your pocket operation, then try selecting a surface for it.
For each point on the toolpath, the software will find where the tool touches the surface, if this is above the toolpath, the toolpath will be limited so the tool does not go below the surface.

I hope this helps.

Dan.

Antoine Chevrier

Mar 9, 2020, 10:47:34 AM3/9/20
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
Hello Dan.

Thank you for your answer.

So, here is what I tried and did:
  • open heekscad : done
  • add a sphere R=5mm, center at 0,0,0 (x,y,z): done
  • clic right on sphere and "make outline sketch around solid": done, a sketch is created
  • add a pocket operation with the sketch created,depth departure 0mm, depth end -10mm: done
  • make a pocket operation which correctly makes toolpath doing Post Process : done, 3 circle lines appears at the top of the sphere
  • clic onto "cut mode" to see the meaning of "conventional" in "picture": done, but nothing happened
  • add a surface: done, surface 1 is created
  • edit operation : done
  • link the surface with operation: done
  • Post Process: done, but nothing has changed. Only 3 circle lines appeared at the top of the sphere.
Then, I do not succeed to reproduce the https://sites.google.com/site/heekscad/help/surface ...

I must do something wrong:
  • Right top picture of edit operation window shows a standard flat "pocket" operation, and does not show a "surface" operation showing a sphere and the tool
  • Post Process results to an only horizontal circle line
I join the gcode file and copy/paste of screens (general results, edit operation window, edit surface window, sphere specifications).

It must be simple, but, I do not see where I went wrong. Maybe at the stage "make outline sketch around solid" doing right clic on the sphere ? Is it this sketch which must be done to reproduce your explanations at the page https://sites.google.com/site/heekscad/help/surface ? Or another one ?

Thank you for your help.

Antoine
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to heeksca...@googlegroups.com.
test.ngc
image_4.png
image_3.png
image_2.png
image_1.png

Dan Heeks

Mar 9, 2020, 11:56:08 AM3/9/20
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
If you hide the sphere ( Properties->Visible tick box ), then you will see that the toolpath is now limited to being above the sphere.
The pocket operation makes the cutter stay inside the sketch, but this doesn't cover all the sphere.
Try making the sketch bigger to cover all the sketch.
Or you can tell the pocket operation to cut outside the shape by making material allowance negative ( set "matière à conserver" to -3.0 for example) .

Also, maybe try moving the sphere down so the top is at Z0. Also try using "zig zag".

See pictures.

Dan.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/heekscad-users/77fa3a2d-ab26-4707-98d8-79a50d703969%40googlegroups.com.
pocket1.png
pocket2.png
pocket3.png

Antoine C.

Mar 16, 2020, 11:37:08 AM3/16/20
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan.

Thank you very much for your explanations.

Making a larger sketch, setting a negative value equal to the cutter
diameter, using "zig-zag", are three great usefull technics to better
understand and learn how to use heekscad for surfacing 3D shapes.

I've begun a sort of how-to based on this at this URL:

https://ressources.labomedia.org/usinage_3d_avec_heekscad

Thanks a lot Dan.

Antoine