Ubuntu 16.04 / Xenial PPA packages won't run yet

Doug LaRue

May 25, 2016, 5:52:45 PM5/25/16
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
The latest Long Term Support version of Ubuntu is 16.04 and while there are 16.04 packages in the PPA, they are still built against old versions of the libraries. For example it wants liboce-foundation8 when liboce-foundation10 is what's packaged with the OS.

I will try to look into what it takes to setup the build environment and post what I find.

I did boot up a live 14.04.2 iso image and install the PPA and it ran and imported my DXF and SVG files.

Normand C.

May 25, 2016, 9:30:31 PM5/25/16
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
Hello Doug,

I'm guessing you are talking about neomilium's PPA's. The stable one does not provide packages for Xenial. While heekscad and heekscnc packages are listed for xenial in the daily builds PPA, they actually failed to build. You can find that out by clicking on "View package details", which shows a Build status column. There's a buildlog available for each (click on amd64 or i386). Someone familiar with Heekscad code will find a few pointers on the reason why the builds failed.

Doug LaRue

May 25, 2016, 10:37:05 PM5/25/16
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 6:30:31 PM UTC-7, Normand C. wrote:
Hello Doug,

I'm guessing you are talking about neomilium's PPA's. The stable one does not provide packages for Xenial. While heekscad and heekscnc packages are listed for xenial in the daily builds PPA, they actually failed to build. You can find that out by clicking on "View package details", which shows a Build status column. There's a buildlog available for each (click on amd64 or i386). Someone familiar with Heekscad code will find a few pointers on the reason why the builds failed.

Thanks Normand. Yes it was neomilium's PPA and that  would explain why I wasn't getting any recognition for apt install heekscad. A quick look at the build log shows it's only failing on a couple of things so far so maybe not so bad to fix.  And 15.10 seemed to build fine.

I've not completely migrated to 16.04 yet and currently(even now) I'm running from an iso image on my HD with my userid created and lots of soft links from my HD into this test system. Persistence is via a 64GB USB3.x dongle. Impressively fast and allows me to test tools as I go. Like finding out HeeksCAD won't run yet.

I'll boot into 14.04, install the latest and see if I can figure out this CNC stuff. Thanks.

Doug

neom...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2016, 9:54:34 AM9/24/16
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
PPA does now have 16.04 packages in stable and in devel builds.

Antoine C

Oct 24, 2016, 3:20:21 AM10/24/16
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
Hi. I confirm, Heekscad does not work with Xerial Ubuntu 16.04 LTS yet. It fails.