Pocketing inside a sketch, outside a contained sketch

Tony Diethelm

Dec 15, 2015, 1:31:36 PM12/15/15
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
Hi all,

I'm new to HeeksCAD/CNC, after jumping from PyCAM. So far I have it figured out fairly well, but I ran into a problem.

I have a solution, but it's inelegant and I wanted to see what y'all thought.

I'm making a sign. I want to route out my house numbers, as a pocket operation. Attached is a pic of what I want.

Alas, the 8 and 9 have separate sketches for the outside and the inside. I want to route out the area inbetween the two sketches! I could not for the life of me find a good way to do this!

I resorted to extruding the sketches into solids, then doing a boolean subtraction to get rid of the middle part, as in the "9" in my attached pic. The "8" is in the process. Then when I had the solid with a hole in the middle, I created a sketch from the face.

It works, but I'd love it if there was a faster and more elegant method.

Thanks!

Tony Diethelm
Screenshot_2015-12-15_10-23-42.png

Tony Diethelm

Dec 15, 2015, 1:41:22 PM12/15/15
to HeeksCAD - Users Mailing List
Ha!

Naturally, I found the fix RIGHT after I asked for help. :D

I combined the outside and inside sketches into one sketch, and noticed the "order" in the properties was "bad". I changed it to "reorder". It then displayed "multiple" and everything worked after that.

Thanks!

Tony