Problem importing dxf and svg files

em...@brandasund.no

Feb 12, 2015, 10:48:25 AM2/12/15
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to mill text on a part. As far as I can see there is no way to make the text in HeeksCAD, so I'm trying to make the text in another program, save as .dxf or .svg and import it in HeeksCAD.

I have tried using Inkscape (.dxf and .svg) and QCad (.dxf). When I import the file I can't see the contents of it and no new objects appear in the objects list. There is no error message. (I have no problems importing .STEP or image files, but I don't think I can use those formats for this.)

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Emil

Dan Heeks

Feb 12, 2015, 10:52:17 AM2/12/15
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
The way I do it, is to draw it in Inkscape, then ( this is the bit you are missing ) I choose from the menu "Path"->"Object to Path", then save ( as SVG ).
The SVG file should then import into HeeksCAD ok.

Dan.

jegb

Feb 13, 2015, 1:20:03 PM2/13/15
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
One recommendation to inkscape, in addition to what Dan suggests, use the tool in nodes view to convert the segments to lines (not using arcs).
LinuxCNC also can do a lot of heavy lifting on conversion of bitmaps to gcode.

Enrique

em...@brandasund.no

Feb 14, 2015, 4:02:53 AM2/14/15
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. That let me import the text.

When importing the .svg I got lot's of extra and/or apparently randomly placed lines so the text looked completely messed up. I tried different fonts and found that some worked better than others, but it still required some manual clean up in HeeksCAD to work.