Libarea or Libarea-clipper ?

Lux

May 25, 2013, 6:07:30 AM5/25/13
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com

hello

on github there are 2 type of libarea.

https://github.com/danielfalck/libarea

and

https://github.com/danielfalck/libarea-clipper

which is better to compile and install ?
it's just a change of license?

Bye ..

PS. a new and update guide (
Detailed) for compile all project for windows xp ?

Anders Wallin

May 25, 2013, 3:23:12 PM5/25/13
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
I think originally libarea made use of the kbool library for polygon offset.
The version of libarea that uses clipper is much faster, IIRC.
They may also have different licenses, because kbool and clipper have different licenses.

I've made some progress with my own pocketing code (openvoronoi). In the future it should support circular arcs also as input (which libarea will probably not), as well as provide a number of more advanced pocketing strategies. There are some images over here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/106188605401091280402/albums/5704527888520386193

If you plan on doing any programming or other hacking I warmly recommend a switch to Linux (e.g. Ubuntu). There are not many open-source enthusiasts who will provide support and guides for Windows - sorry.

Anders

David Nicholls

May 25, 2013, 6:15:04 PM5/25/13
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
I maintain a copy of HeeksCAD and HeeksCNC locally for myself and a friend.  I took the branch when Dan first announced that he would no longer actively develop the products.  I was eager to keep something working for my own purposes.  I followed Dan's changes (partly) when he moved the libarea-clipper code into the HeeksCAD product.  I'm a fan of this as it allows the offsetting and boolean functionality to occur in C++ rather than in Python.  I don't have anything against Python but, by keeping this code in C++, it's easier to use the results of it for downstream tasks (such as nesting pocketing operations to allow for two different sized cutting tools).

I would LOVE to include the OpenVoronoi code as well but I have not been able to make it work on Windows (using Visual Studio 2008).  I try again every few months but become frustrated and leave it again.  I am quite happy with Linux (where OpenVoronoi compiles and runs just fine) but my friend is more comfortable on Windows.  I would love to get to the point where OpenVoronoi can be linked into a C++ project directly (rather than having to convert to/from the Python layer) on both Linux and Windows platforms.   It has some fantastic features.  I'm hoping that someone will get it working this way with a FreeCAD implementation.

Sorry to have hijacked your email thread but I just wanted to plant the idea of getting OpenVoronoi working as straight C++ code on a Windows platform.  If anyone has done that, I would be very interested to know.  Being able to use the routines available from OpenVoronoi in a C++ application would really be wonderful.

Thanks
David Nicholls

Lux

Jun 1, 2013, 4:17:34 PM6/1/13

Il giorno domenica 26 maggio 2013 00:15:04 UTC+2, David Nicholls ha scritto:
[...]

Hi David

I would like to try to compile your version of HeeksCAD / cnc for linux.
I will soon.

Voronoi for c + +?

CGAL libraries could be?

http://www.cgal.org/

or

http://math.lbl.gov/voro++/

bye!

Lux

Jun 1, 2013, 4:21:53 PM6/1/13

Il giorno sabato 25 maggio 2013 21:23:12 UTC+2, Anders Wallin ha scritto:
I think originally libarea made use of the kbool library for polygon offset.
The version of libarea that uses clipper is much faster, IIRC.
They may also have different licenses, because kbool and clipper have different licenses.

I've made some progress with my own pocketing code (openvoronoi). In the future it should support circular arcs also as input (which libarea will probably not), as well as provide a number of more advanced pocketing strategies. There are some images over here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/106188605401091280402/albums/5704527888520386193

If you plan on doing any programming or other hacking I warmly recommend a switch to Linux (e.g. Ubuntu). There are not many open-source enthusiasts who will provide support and guides for Windows - sorry.

Anders

Hi Anders

I follow with interest your blog, and I think very exciting project
on Voronoi diagrams.

I use linux and I successfully compiled HeeksCAD / cnc.
I ask on windows because, unfortunately, in the workplace still use windows.

PS: a question.

The libraries CGAL, implement openvoronoi, and now I'm gpl.
why you do not use those libraries?

Message has been deleted

David Nicholls

Jun 2, 2013, 12:14:54 AM6/2/13
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Lux,

  the version I have in github is pretty old now.  If I were you I would stick with the main one that Dan Heeks owns.  I don't have a published copy of the one I play with at home.  The one I keep at home only compiles on Windows nowdays as I haven't kept up the makefile for Linux.

  I haven't looked at the CGAL libraries but I do know that Anders has done some very impressive work with his OpenVoronoi project.  I would rather wait for that than try to integrate the CGAL libraries.

 Thanks
 David Nicholls

Anders Wallin

Jun 2, 2013, 5:46:11 AM6/2/13
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com

I would LOVE to include the OpenVoronoi code as well but I have not been able to make it work on Windows (using Visual Studio 2008).  I try again every few months but become frustrated and leave it again.  I am quite happy with Linux (where OpenVoronoi compiles and runs just fine) but my friend is more comfortable on Windows.  I would love to get to the point where OpenVoronoi can be linked into a C++ project directly (rather than having to convert to/from the Python layer) on both Linux and Windows platforms.   It has some fantastic features.  I'm hoping that someone will get it working this way with a FreeCAD implementation.

If you could post the compile-problems you have with openvoronoi on github as issues, then maybe someone can help
https://github.com/aewallin/openvoronoi/issues
apart from the required libraries (boost graph/python, and libqd quad-precision arithmetic) it should be pretty standard c++.

Sorry to have hijacked your email thread but I just wanted to plant the idea of getting OpenVoronoi working as straight C++ code on a Windows platform.  If anyone has done that, I would be very interested to know.  Being able to use the routines available from OpenVoronoi in a C++ application would really be wonderful.

Voronoi for c + +?
CGAL libraries could be?
http://www.cgal.org/

CGAL can compute a voronoi diagram for point/line inputs through a Delaunay triangulation. Testing & benchmarking by me and others shows that sometimes it just stalls/hangs, and sometimes it takes a very long time to complete. I would be happy to be proven wrong if someone comes up with working CGAL code for 2D offsetting and medial-axis.

After a quick look at this site it looks like 3D voronoi-cells for point-sites. What we want is 2D voronoi-diagram for point/line/arc input - so I'm not sure if Voro++ is useful.

The one library that *is* quite similar to openvoronoi is boost.polygon.voronoi
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/polygon/doc/voronoi_main.htm
it requires integer input coordinates, and similar to openvoronoi takes points and lines as input. It is faster than openvoronoi.
AFAIK there are no routines for 2D offset or medial-axis, but in principle my openvoronoi-work could be ported as long as some groks the data-structure for the VD-graph used.

I'll probably have some free coding-time in July, and I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head:
- improve openvoronoi to handle arc input and/or work on better medial-axis pocketing.
- improve opencamlib with e.g. constant-scallop, and/or 4/5-axis toolpaths
- work on cutting-simulation. This could go into LinuxCNC maybe.
- work on a very simple GUI for the above (Heekscnc work has stalled, FreeCAD has the (opencascade) license issues)

Anders

David Nicholls

Jun 2, 2013, 6:22:16 AM6/2/13
to heeksca...@googlegroups.com
Anders,

  thanks for the reply.  I tried to integrate the source for OpenVoronoi into my local copy of HeeksCNC.  I got it to compile and link but threw an exception during one of the examples.  I won't post the code as it is.  Rather, I will see if I can produce a very simple example program.  If that still fails then I will post it to get some help.  It wouldn't be right for me to ask anyone to try to debug the code as I currently have it setup.

  Thanks
  David Nicholls