Snow Roads 300km

windy

Jul 2, 2008, 5:21:15 PM7/2/08
to Hebridean Cycle Club
Hi all.

Did the 'Snow Roads' 300km Audax last Saturday. 302km in 16 3/4
hours.

A tailwind out from the (6.00am) start at Kirriemuir to Banchory
(73kph descending off Cairn O'Mount) for breakfast at the first
control (60km) at Somerfield Cafe and on to Oyne at 100km. Wind
started to get difficult from Oyne through Rhynie over Cabrach to
Dufftown for lunch (156 km in 7hrs). Problems started after Dufftown
with another 70 miles and 4 major climbs into a 20-29mph headwind.
From Dufftown the road headed south to Tomintoul, then over the Lecht
(a scary descent with a buffeting wind causing a 'speed wobble' at
about 60 kph) through Corgarff and Crathie to the penultimate control
at Braemar (237 km) Took an extended rest stop in Braemar and
refuelled on chips, soup and coffee resisting the urge to have a pint
(which sadistic sod put a check-point in a hotel bar?). From Braemar
the last tail wind slog to the summit of Cairnwell, the highest point
of the day and down through Spittal of Glenshee then a left turn into
Glen Isla for the last wind assisted 20 miles back to the finish at
Kirriemuir, arriving at about 10.45, 3 1/4 hours before the 'cut-off'.

Actual time in the saddle was 13hrs 43mins (pass the vaseline) so 3hrs
rest stops. With most of the climbing into a head wind, I'm glad I put
on an 11-28 casette (with a 48/38/28 chain set). 24 riders started and
only 2 non finishers. One mad bugger rode it on 48 x 20 fixed wheel,
arriving back at the finish at 1.30 am with 30 mins to spare!!

Some pics and comments if you follow this link

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3780.0

Paul

Jul 6, 2008, 9:09:28 AM7/6/08
to Hebridean Cycle Club
Great effort Ian, well done!

Sounds like a fair epic journey, with lots of climb. Respect for such
a long time in the saddle, I know my rear wouldn't have been feeling
too comfortable after that duration!

Cheers
Paul

Gavin Earons

Jul 6, 2008, 9:26:06 AM7/6/08
to hebridean-...@googlegroups.com
Fabulous effort Windy, I've just finished watching teams complete my
Hebridean Challenge Route in some evil weather - they are wrecked after five
and half days of adventure racing but given a choice I suspect all of them
would rather line up at the start again than try for the Snow Roads!!

Paul joined us for the morning of the MTB time trial - a loop starting at
Scalpay Hall, going from Urgha through to Maaruig, round to Rhenigidale and
back over to Urgha for the finish. The fastest time of any of the 20 teams
was 2h 1m (pretty respectable given what they had been through the previous
couple of days but Paul did an unbelievable 1hr 19m for the same course!!! I
had to double check the time and then go and check that he hadnt used his
motocross bike!!! It almost seems like an impossible time. The field were
set off at 1m intervals with Paul going last - he passed the lot of them
before half way! I spoke to many of the other riders and they said it was
just incredible how fast he was going - respect! The top lady rider said he
passed her on a really rough section, she was bouncing along in the middle
ring while he screamed past her in the big ring as if he was on tarmac.

Gavin