Thule bike rack part

Marcus Nielson

Sep 4, 2022, 2:55:03 PM9/4/22
to HeatSync Labs
Hi, I was at Heat Sync labs yesterday and got a helpful introduction to 3D printing! I have a Thule roof bike rack and one of the pieces that holds the tire in place came off while I was driving the other day. I've searched extensively online and I have not been able to find a replacement. I would like to 3D print the part but I need to convert it into a 3D file first. I already tried to find a 3D model of the part online but no luck. Any other suggestions on how I could go about this? Thanks!Thule Wheel Holder.jpg

Darrell Wertz

Sep 4, 2022, 7:22:54 PM9/4/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
etrailer.com has a large selection of Thule parts. Have you checked there?

On Sun, Sep 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Marcus Nielson <marcus...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I was at Heat Sync labs yesterday and got a helpful introduction to 3D printing! I have a Thule roof bike rack and one of the pieces that holds the tire in place came off while I was driving the other day. I've searched extensively online and I have not been able to find a replacement. I would like to 3D print the part but I need to convert it into a 3D file first. I already tried to find a 3D model of the part online but no luck. Any other suggestions on how I could go about this? Thanks!Thule Wheel Holder.jpg

Darrell Wertz

Board Member, HeatSync Labs

www.heatsynclabs.org

dwe...@heatsynclabs.org

Marcus Nielson

Sep 5, 2022, 12:25:59 PM9/5/22
to HeatSync Labs
Thanks for the response! Yes, I have searched their website. They seem to have every other part except the one I need. Seems to be the pattern for some reason. I am hoping I can find someone to recreate the part in CAD.

Darrell Wertz

Sep 5, 2022, 1:04:48 PM9/5/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus,
Unfortunately there are some serious challenges with this effort.

  • This part will be very difficult to reverse engineer accurately.
  • The original material is a UV resistant fiberglass filled composite.
  • 3D printing materials may not meet the needs of the physical and environmental loads.
  • Having someone model it for you will be expensive or place some unreasonable expectation on them.
  • 3D Scanning the original part might be possible but will require some experimentation and advanced skill.
I've purchased obsolete parts for bike racks before. The last resort is contacting a Thule dealer and having them order the part directly. Bigger store employees will not have any clue on how to order parts. A mom and pop shop is your best bet.

Making one yourself is a labor of love... Why buy it for $20 when you can make it for $200...

This is probably your best bet.

Darrell Wertz

Sep 5, 2022, 1:43:35 PM9/5/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Antonio Contrisciani

Sep 5, 2022, 4:47:24 PM9/5/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Antonio Contrisciani

Sep 5, 2022, 4:47:52 PM9/5/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
ignore that just saw the shipping lol.

Antonio Contrisciani

Sep 5, 2022, 4:49:03 PM9/5/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Ah i see why this part has been so hard to find :  "Thule new regulations relating to distribution, we are not allowed to ship some products of this brand to United States Of America"

Marcus Nielson

Sep 5, 2022, 4:57:11 PM9/5/22
to HeatSync Labs
Thank you for your response. I would much prefer to just buy the part, but I either can't find the part, or it is cost prohibitive to buy it had have it shipped from Europe. That's why I was hoping to 3D print it but it sounds like that isn't a good option either, unfortunately. I may just have to buy a whole new roof rack. Thanks!