hard drive mounting bracket

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 12:23:01 AM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I have an issue trying to mount 3.5 inch hard drives in a case. The hole pattern on the case doesn't match the hole pattern on the drives. There is no problem with the width of the hole, those are standardized for 3.5 in drives. It's the holes along the side causing the problem.
The case uses mounting holes near the front and center of the drive, while the drive itself has holes near the front and rear. Is there an way to MFG a plate which will adapt the 2 hole patterns without being too thick?

--
Ron Watkins, AI7AK
602.743.5272

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 12:23:52 AM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
image.png

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 3:08:29 AM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
This further illustrates my problem. The host has the mounting holes like the top picture, and the disk drive has mounting holes like the bottom picture. I need some sort of adapter... Open to suggestions.
image.png

Cprossu

May 9, 2021, 10:26:04 AM5/9/21
to HeatSync Labs
I have seen this before where drives are to be mounted backwards, or the mounting place you are looking to use is made for a floppy drive and not a hard drive (floppy drives come forward into the case more than a hard drive would).

The pictures of your case metal and the hard drive do not show me what's exactly happening, and I have really not run into this issue at all on modern cases. I would say see if your hard drive has 3 holes on each side FIRST, then measure the distance between the centers of the screw holes, then do the same on the case metal. It could be they are not lining up due to you trying to line up the incorrect holes. It can look like they are not lining up if you are trying to index the wrong set of holes or the hard drive just fits into the case differently than you think it logically should. I hesitate to tell you to make marks and drill into the case, as I think there's a more fundamental reason for stuff not lining up though.

Does your case have a brand name and model number? Is the case from this century? Is it a pre-build computer with a model #?

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 11:39:31 AM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
The case is the  Chenbro NR12000. The HDD's are Seagate Ironwolf 16TB (ST16000VN001)
Im using the correct mounting holes, the issue is that the case only has the 2 closely spaced holes while the HDD only has the 2 widely spaced holes.
It's not an issue of mis-alignment, it's just how the case and the HDD are configured.
The case holds 12 HDD's in a grid of 4 across by 3 deep. I have other HDD's which have the closely spaced holes and they fit fine, just not the HDD's I wanted to put in the case.
So, I need some sort of plate which has all 3 sets of mounting holes, so that I mount these drives in the case.
Im thinking a thin sheet of aluminum would work.
I have the measurements for the hole spacing and just need a way to get a sheet of aluminum and cut it into HDD sized rectangles. I can probably drill the holes manually.

Cprossu

May 9, 2021, 12:38:50 PM5/9/21
to HeatSync Labs
So we're dealing with a fairly specialized 1U server which mounts the drives flat, and hard drives made for NAS which do not have the normal screw pattern that used to be seen on most desktop drives just leaving the wide pattern as you stated. I think the HGST helium drives I shucked from some external WD14TB drives were the same way. Did not know that going into this thread. You may want to consider making your own bracket assembly instead of adapting what's already there using the fewest bends as possible, possibly a two piece design in which the drives screw to.

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 12:43:08 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Do you know anyone who can cut aluminum sheet, or a place where I can get it done? If I make little plates with both hole patterns, I should be able to mount it.
I really don't want to have to find another case at this point due to the costs.

Jot Powers

May 9, 2021, 12:46:44 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I think there is some scrap aluminum at the lab from some signs.  I would likely just use a bandsaw and drill press to make them.  The material is coated, so I'd probably create a template so I could just use the laser to etch the design for me to follow, but only because that's the geekiest possible way.  ;)

-Jot

Thorsten Barth

May 9, 2021, 3:04:52 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Thorsten Barth

May 9, 2021, 3:04:52 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I apologize to jump in and this is my first posting, did not have a chance to introduce me yet.

Use an acrylic sheet, do a drawing, let the laser to its job.
I've changed on one of my lasers (have two) the laser head and needed a replacement holder. Made it from 1/4' acrylic.
Works pretty well, besides the fact that the Z-Axis bearings giving me some trouble (different story) :)
But a sketch for an adapter should be done in some minutes.

Thorsten

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 3:10:01 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
That's cool, how much would you charge?

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 3:10:45 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
It has to be super thin because it's a 1U rackmount server, so I was thinking sheet aluminum.

Jot Powers

May 9, 2021, 3:24:06 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
You could use the laser to cut plywood/acrylic as a template for doing the aluminum cutting/drilling to make sure you had it spot on.

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 3:34:25 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I need 24 of these plates. Not sure who to go through to get them made.
Ron

Jot Powers

May 9, 2021, 4:16:43 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, oof.  If you don't want to make them yourself, no ideas.

Corey Renner

May 9, 2021, 5:14:50 PM5/9/21
to HeatSync Labs
Have had K-Zell cut similar parts before.  Karl used to be a member here, great guy, not sure if he's still following this mail list.

cheers,

Thorsten Barth

May 9, 2021, 5:31:28 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't charge anything, just love to help.... would 1/8" (3mm) acrylic still be too thick?

If you need the sketch / drawing, I made it based on:

Vanessa Seibert

May 9, 2021, 6:16:48 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Who do I can’t at to be removed from email list?

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 6:17:31 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I don't have the skill, knowledge or ability.

Ron Watkins

May 9, 2021, 6:18:32 PM5/9/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Could I try one for sizing purposes? If it works, I would definitely pay you for the rest. Thanks

Ron Watkins

May 11, 2021, 2:03:52 AM5/11/21
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Just checking back regarding the plate. Wondering if it's in progress?