PS4 Camera Hacking for Fun and Profit

Erik Wilson

Nov 7, 2013, 10:13:07 PM11/7/13
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Nearly three years ago open source drivers were released for the Kinect not more than a week after its release. The PS4 camera promises to be even more versatile in its modes of operation, from depth sensing, to image tracking, and 3D video.

The camera auxiliary port on the PS4 is actually a USB 3.0 only port, and by modifying the cable of the camera it is possible to connect it to a computer using USB 3.0.

Only a little bit of information is available on the chipset, it appears to be an OmniVision 580 ASIC chip, although there is currently no documentation on their site pointing to such a thing. It appears that Digikey is selling their product, but also no links to a datasheet.

Hopefully with the release of the PS4 next week the USB 3.0 traffic can be analysed and a driver quickly developed. Anything that you can do to help contribute towards that effort is greatly appreciated.

I made that tumblr thing ^ because I was playing with the PS4 camera and it seems kinda hackable.

But I need your help! I am not sure how to start making a driver and don't even have a USB 3.0 protocol analyzer to look at traffic when the PS4 comes out. If anyone does have a USB 3.0 protocol analyzer and is willing to help please let me know. As a cheaper alternative I was looking at the Odroid-XU, it might be able to man in the middle with the USB 3.0 OTG port.

Even better you can help just by getting the word out about the site and what the device is capable of, and anyone willing to help with kernel drivers or USB 3.0 stuff that would be awesome! :)

Jacob Rosenthal

Nov 7, 2013, 11:47:57 PM11/7/13
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Adafruit has a tutorial of sorts from when they hacked the kinect last time.

Sadly you need a usb analyzer for that tutorial. They sell it, its this one.

Always wanted one since then :(

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Erik Wilson <erik.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
by g

Ryan Mcdermott

Nov 8, 2013, 12:18:49 AM11/8/13
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com, Mark Kirschenbaum
Paging Trunk.  I think he does a lot of stuff like this.

Erik Wilson

Nov 8, 2013, 3:09:47 PM11/8/13
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately that particular analyzer linked is USB 2.0, most USB 3.0 analyzers I have seen are in the price range of $2,500 to $5,000.

I think this is an area ripe for hacking tho, the $125 BeagleBoard is apparently capable of doing some USB 2.0 sniffing by passthrough using the OTG port:

I went ahead and ordered the Odroid-XU to see if it can do USB 3.0 passthrough, was only $200 after shipping but will probably take awhile to get here.

Trunk

Nov 8, 2013, 4:53:24 PM11/8/13
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Erik,

Looks like a super fun project!

I'm currently deep on getting a project out to market (while running my biz) and can't take on any more projects. Unfortunately, I also don't have access to a USB 3.0 analyzer. I was looking at purchasing one of these a few months ago but decided it wasn't in the cards at the time (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITIC-1480A-USB-2-0-Protocol-Analyzer-/151110261501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232edf9afd

It will be interesting to see if the ps4 driver allows the camera to connect when its forced into HS mode.

Love to hear how the project progresses
-Trunk

Erik Wilson

Nov 10, 2013, 1:37:35 PM11/10/13
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Trunk! I see some threads about issues with the BeagleBoard and proxy devices in high speed mode so I suspect there might be problems with Odroid-XU and proxying USB 3.0 super speed also.
Of course would be happy to get help from any kernel hackers out there!

Omar Fouad

Jan 24, 2014, 11:01:44 PM1/24/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Hello Sir,

  I have a question on your ps4 eye communication with the computer.

My setup :
  • Ubuntu 12.04
  • PS4 eye

I tried to do the same thing you did ,

  • Cut the PS4 cable and the USB 3.0 cable
  • Matched the colors and connected the cables by soldering them to a PCB

Results:

  • When writing : sudo lsusb I can not find the PS4 camera :S and its different from the ps3 eye which had some indication lights.

Appreciate your help

Thanks in advance,

Omar Fouad

Erik Wilson

Jan 25, 2014, 1:24:03 PM1/25/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

The indication lights won't light up with just plugging it in. It sounds like either there is an issue with the wiring or the computer does not support USB 3.0. Please make sure the three exposed ground wires are also connected and insulated.

Erik Wilson

Jan 25, 2014, 1:24:42 PM1/25/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Also, a very nice person was kind enough to send a Beagle Superspeed capture of PS4 and camera communication last month. Unfortunately I have been pretty busy with multiple projects but if anyone is willing to help (ie you are a programmer) and would like a copy please send me an email. I would make the captures publicly available but it was the preference of the capturer that they not be made so. As far as I know the capture was legally obtained and the process of reverse engineering drivers is legal under US law, if anyone has other input on that please let me know.

Omar Fouad

Jan 25, 2014, 8:42:00 PM1/25/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for you fast reply, I have tried the following,

Soldered the following wires:
  • 2 pairs of data cables and their exposed grounds
  • red and black wires of the cable
the total number of soldered wires is 6 and also connected the shields by wrapping them together

you indicated that there are 3 exposed grounds but I could only find 2 exposed grounds( and the black unexposed wire ). Did you mean the shields?

I did connect the shields together randomly anyway.

Do you have suggestions for that?

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Erik Wilson

Jan 26, 2014, 9:19:12 AM1/26/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for the confusion, I should have said shields, the shield acts as a ground drain but not to be confused with the black/ground wire. The shields appear to be wired separately to the plug so you may want to solder the correct ones together rather than just wrapping them together randomly. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Pinouts. Basically I put the wires and shields back together exactly as it came apart and had no issues. If you have a PS4 you can also test the camera on the front USB ports.

Omar Fouad

Jan 26, 2014, 4:34:45 PM1/26/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

 First of all, I want to thank you for your time,

 I still have the same problem. Unfortunately, I dont have a ps4 to test it there.

I soldered a total of 9 wires as you can see in the image attached:
  • Blue and yellow and their exposed shield
  • Purple and orange and their exposed shield
  • red and black
  • the wrapping shield in the usb side had an exposed wire inside but in the ps4 side I had only found the wrapping shield , so I soldered that exposed wire in the usb3 side to the wrapping shield of the ps4 camera side
did you actually solder the same thing together and it worked for you ?

Thanks again for your time
src.JPG

Erik Wilson

Jan 26, 2014, 7:37:23 PM1/26/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
No problem, I know some other people have had issues getting things wired up correctly but it has also been successful for others. There has also been some confusion, or something missing in translation, if this modification well allow one to use the PS4 camera as a webcam: at the moment it will not, a driver still needs to be developed for any functionality and even then it may not act like a normal webcam.

My first question: are you sure your computer supports USB 3.0?
Can you please send the output of `lsusb`? (with the cam plugged in)

Regarding the wiring:
I believe that each of the communication pairs is wrapped in insulation that is like a mylar/plastic/foil thing that may be conductive on the inside layer to aid in shielding. It may be helpful to cut off the excess insulation and then add your own electrical tape around the pairs.

I do not remember having an extra exposed wire in my USB cable, there were three strings that were likely used in the creation of the cable and I am curious if this extra wire may have been for something similar and is not actually connected to the shell of the plug. You can try to do a continuity checks of individual wires/shields from the camera side to the usb plug to make sure everything is properly soldered and insulated.

Also, the standard for USB 3.0 cables is 10 feet or less, if your cable is longer you may want to consider shortening it.

Erik Wilson

Feb 1, 2014, 3:54:01 AM2/1/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Some success has been had loading a dumped firmware onto the camera, it reboots as a streaming video device and is picked up by v4l.

If anyone is able to tell me what architecture this blob is you will win a prize:
https://github.com/ps4eye/ps4eye/raw/master/firmware.bin

I have tried radare2 and ida pro to disassemble, specifically looking at 8051 and that family as the ov530 had such support. Everything that I have disassembled to looks like garbage tho, programming that doesn't make sense. If anyone can help figure it out I will <3 you forever.

Still need to work on camera control and video decoding.

Tiago Trocoli

Jun 11, 2014, 11:18:51 AM6/11/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
 Hello everybody!

I tried to hacking PS4Eye, but I not succeed yet.. :(
I followed the steps indicated in http://ps4eye.tumblr.com/ like:
  •    I adapted the AUX Sony plug to USB3.0 ( Image1 image2), that I think its correctly welded.
  •    The new welded cable has less than 1.0 meter..
  •    I plugged the USB3.0 in my Dell Latitude E6430 Laptop, it has USB3.0 compatible, and the output from lsusb command on Ubuntu terminal was:

tiagotrocoli@bir-dell-trocoli:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0a5c:5801 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor with fingerprint swipe sensor
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:643f Microdia
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 413c:8197 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 22b8:2e62 Motorola PCS
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The output from lsusb doesn't show the information about the PS4Eye.
I remade all the steps to check if it was a mistake, but it's alright. Now I don't now what to do.
So, would someone help me!? Please!!

thanks for attention

Tiago Trocoli

Jun 11, 2014, 11:46:58 AM6/11/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody!!

I tried to hacking my PS4Eye to using in Ubuntu 14.04, which it has USB3.0 support.
But, the device doesn't work and I have no ideia what I can do to solve the problem.

I followed steps indicated in ps4eye.tumblr.com to start the hacking, like:
  • Adapt the AUX Sony plug to USB3.0 (like showed in IMAGE1 and IMAGE2)
  • The new welted cable is less than 1.0 meters
  • After, I plugged the USB in PC and the output from the lsusb  is:

tiagotrocoli@bir-dell-trocoli:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0a5c:5801 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor with fingerprint swipe sensor
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:643f Microdia
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 413c:8197 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 22b8:2e62 Motorola PCS
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I don't know what to do.. So, would someone help me?? I feel hopeless.. :/

Thanks for attention!

Praveen Palanisamy

Jul 18, 2014, 1:04:43 AM7/18/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everybody!

Regarding the pinouts: " There is a green/white wire pair missing on the PS4 cable, this is the USB 2.0 differential pair for backwards compatibility, it is not necessary for connecting the PS4 camera to a USB 3.0 port."  I guess this is the extra exposed wire pair that Foud was concerned about. More information and a python init script is available here :http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-4-ps4-news/ps4eye-ps4-eye-camera-tools-and-playstation-4-usb-comm-dump-out

@Erik Wilson: Have you got the Odroid-XU? and any luck with the USB 3.0 sniffing?

Tiago Trocoli

Sep 3, 2014, 1:45:48 PM9/3/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Hello everybody!

I have solved the soldering problem using a usb3.0 plug for boards. The attached image shows how is the plug.
But.. Now I am facing another problem with the execution example, located in record folder.
I can initialize ps4eye successfully. But, after MAKE in record folder, an error is shown when run ps4eye executable, like the following lines:

begin debug playback
Found max packet size 1024
 actually using packets of size 49152
libusbx: error [submit_iso_transfer] submiturb failed error -1 errno=22
submitting play transfer 0 failed.
Exiting...

I am in Ubuntu 14.04.1, and someone can help me!? Or, give some ideia to solve this problem..

Thanks

Tiago Trocoli

Sep 3, 2014, 1:56:30 PM9/3/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Image Attached!

§ 2011 Tiago Trocoli
plugsUSB3.jpg

Florian M

Sep 15, 2014, 12:00:12 PM9/15/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am trying to create my own PS4 eye to USB3 adapter since I don't want to cut the Eye's cable.
So far, I created an adapter from a USB3 B cable that fits on the eye's plug, see the attached image.
Unfortunately, I could not get a connection to a computer up to now. There is no short on the cable nor the adapter, all pins of the adapter are placed exactly on the contacts in the eye's plug. Therefore, I guess something in the pinout of the adapter I created is wrong. Can someone provide me a pinout for the eye's plug? What I found up to now is only a matching of cable colors of they eye's cable and an usb3 cable.

I would be happy if someone who cut his/her cable could help me out to match colors to pins ;)

Thanks

PS: The images are of an earlier state, just in case you are wondering why some pins are not connected.

Tiago Trocoli

Sep 16, 2014, 1:34:38 PM9/16/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian!

Have you ever saw this wiki page http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/AUX ? There are all the information you need to make your adapter!

Att.

§ 2011 Tiago Trocoli

Florian M

Sep 18, 2014, 9:56:16 AM9/18/14
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

yes, I have seen that page already. I build the adapter so that it fits the pinout and the image in the first section (the "pinout" section). But since there are no pin numbers I assumed, the pins are given from left (VBUS) to right (GND). But it does not work. Maybe because the total length of the cable became pretty long....
I will shorten the cable and try again.
If it still does not work, I guess I will rather just cut the eye's cable than waste more time ;)

Greetings

Simon Stannus

Jan 18, 2015, 10:45:21 PM1/18/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm having trouble getting the PS4 camera working on my computer and this seems to be the place to ask for advice.

I've spliced the cables and connected it to a USB3 port on my computer (running Windows 7), but it doesn't seem to show up in either Device Manager or the listdevs example that came with libusb. Should it be showing up or is there something else I need to do? Has anyone got it working under Windows?

Attached is a photo of the wiring. The USB3 cable I bought has non-standard colours for the wires, so I double-checked which one corresponded to which pin on the USB plug. I didn't wrap the joints, but I made sure they weren't touching (I tried using a breadboard first in any case). If I recall correctly, there was around 30mA going down VCC at 5V from GND.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong?

 - Simon
IMG_20150115_205430[1].jpg

Tiago Trocoli

Jan 19, 2015, 7:44:42 AM1/19/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com

Hi Simon,

I used an USB3 cable to adapt the PSEye4, and i happened lot of problems in the connection with PC.
So, I used the USB3.0 male connector to make the adaptor. It was a hard work to solder, but the final result is good!

I advice you to do same thing.

IMG_20150119_094658725.jpg
IMG_20150119_094640526.jpg

Simon Stannus

Jan 20, 2015, 3:15:23 AM1/20/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tiago,

I'm going to install Ubuntu and try that first, but if that fails I'll try to solder straight to the connector as you suggest. I have a couple of questions, though. How short was the final cable and did you connect anything to the GND_DRAIN pin or the Shell of the USB connector?

Thanks again,
 - Simon

Tiago Trocoli

Jan 20, 2015, 7:04:52 AM1/20/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon.

My final cable has 60 cm length, and I connected all the little cables in plugin as shown image. The GND_DRAIN and SHELL, I connected in different places, GND_DRAIN in a pin, and the SHELL in the connector external shield.

If you will use the UBUNTU, I advise you to install a version with kernel 3.16 or later. The earlier versions had problems with USB 3.0 protocol.

Best Regards

--
§ 2011 Tiago Trocoli

Simon Stannus

Jan 20, 2015, 7:27:02 AM1/20/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tiago,

Thanks. I can't open that link, but I can see images in previous messages, so would you mind re-attaching the image using whatever method you used before?

If your image doesn't make it clear, could you explain what the GND_DRAIN and SHELL on the AUX cable are? I know which pins they are on the USB connector, but I'm not sure which part is which on the AUX cable. If I recall correctly (I'm at home at the moment and the cable is at my office, so I can't check), my AUX cable only had 6 wires and different foil and braided shielding. Do those pins connect to different parts of the shielding?

I tested today with Ubuntu 14.10 (which has the 3.16 kernel) and it detected other USB 3 devices but not the PS4 camera, so it seems it must be a problem with my wiring.

Many thanks again,
 - Simon

Tiago Trocoli

Jan 20, 2015, 8:01:19 AM1/20/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
There are 2 GND_DRAIN wires, which I joined to solder in only one pin. The SHELL is the external set of wires, that i solder directly in the plug shielding.

I hope help you.

Best Regards

Simon Stannus

Jan 20, 2015, 10:23:26 PM1/20/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tiago,

Yeah, I'd seen that information before, but your explanation makes a lot of sense now. One of the reasons I got confused is that the cheap USB3 cable that I bought doesn't have GND_DRAIN wires, just shielding around the two SS pairs. This won't matter; I'll solder straight to the pins as you suggested.

Thanks for all your help,
 - Simon

Simon Stannus

Jan 21, 2015, 4:23:56 AM1/21/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tiago!

After much work I finally got to see this:

The soldering took a while and when I finished, Windows told me that port was drawing too much power; it turns out the VCC pin was touching the shield inside the connector. After I fixed that I also had to unplug a WiFi dongle that was right next to the port I plugged it into; I think the PS4 Eye lines must have been picking up interference from it.

Now I get to enjoy the no doubt equally painful challenge of getting bigboss' driver working. :D

 - Simon

Tiago Trocoli

Jan 21, 2015, 7:08:42 AM1/21/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!!
Now come the best part, programing!
I suggest you to use the opencv too! This library has many tools to handle with cameras and images.

Best Regards

Simon Stannus

Jan 26, 2015, 4:43:35 PM1/26/15
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to bother again, but has anyone managed to get the driver (https://github.com/bigboss-ps3dev/PS4EYECam/) working? I got the necessary libraries, adapted the source code to Windows, got it compiling and created and loaded an .inf file for libusb. It runs and apparently uploads the firmware successfully, but gets random error codes when it tries to open the device:

Has anyone run into anything like this? I don't have access to a Mac with USB3, so I'm currently trying to convert it to run in Ubuntu in case it's somehow a Windows-specific error. If that fails, I will try cutting the cable shorter, but I'm not holding out too much hope that that will fix it.

Alternatively, are there other drivers implementations that I can use?

Cheers,
 - Simon

Karan Jeet

Apr 17, 2016, 1:55:17 AM4/17/16
to HeatSync Labs
Hi Tiago

Can you plese help me...I lost my cut PS4 aux(port ) and I dont know how but my PS4 eye has completely different color for two pair of data cables and so I cant identify Tx +/- and Rx +/- .

Detailed post( https://groups.google.com/d/msg/heatsynclabs/lLV7yOUWvqU/_XzmKEUEBAAJ )

Can you suggest some way or if some one can gelp me identify the pin connection inside PS4 eye it would be of great help.

Regards :)

cpr...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2016, 7:37:47 AM4/17/16
to HeatSync Labs
There has been nothing posted about those here in nearly a year. you may be best to find some fresher group of folks working on it elsewhere on the internets. Also if it is just Rx - and +, and tx - and +, and not vcc or ground that you are worried about, geet some gater wires and trial/error it! you shouldn't be able to blow anything up, just may get a usb unrecognized. worst case scenario that's what? 12 possible combinations?

also whats with the rash of ps4 related topics where there wern't any before? *scratches head*

Tiago Trocoli

Apr 18, 2016, 12:19:29 PM4/18/16
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hay Karan Jeet!

As cprossu said, you should be careful with the vcc cable, to not burn your  usb3 pc port.

I would suggest you to take other ps4eye camera, open it, and and map the pins between the aux port and the base of the min aux ( I dont know the name the small plug inside the camera).
I dont have the camera with me now, otherwise I could give to you the map.

I hope help you.

regards!

§ 2011 Tiago Trocoli
Message has been deleted

Karan Jeet

Apr 19, 2016, 11:58:09 AM4/19/16
to HeatSync Labs
Hi cprossu, Tiago

Thanks for replying so quick. I managed to connect it to USB 3.0 succefully (opened the ps4 eye to see the connection). I successfully uploaded the firmware too :) on ubuntu but cant proceed further(errors,,trying to sort).

And yes I am really confused now, i wanted a stereoscopic camera to calculate disparity map (also i need the RGB stereoscopic view) but now I feel PS4 eye is a DEAD END!!? there are no active group/forum or very less, I cant get enough help. Should I giving time on PS4 eye and try something else? What would you suggest ?

Tiago Trocoli

Apr 19, 2016, 12:46:57 PM4/19/16
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karan Jeet!

I am happy that you handled with usb 3 cable problem.
I made a small tool for PS4eye with OpenCV 2.4 and v4l library, which is available at https://github.com/trocolit2/ps4eye.

Make sure your ubuntu kernel is 3.19 or higher, and your usb 3.0 is allowed to use all data band.

Regards!

Karan Jeet

Apr 19, 2016, 9:23:35 PM4/19/16
to HeatSync Labs
Great work  there Tiago,
Thankyou for sharing :)!
It will save some time too, I was going to use opencv for the same , I'll keep you updated.

Best regards :)

Karan Jeet

Apr 29, 2016, 11:47:26 AM4/29/16
to HeatSync Labs
Hi Tiago

I tried your code. After few attempt I got your code running but output was just black frame. I got some error in v4l library and unloading uvcvideo and loading module. Can you contact me please karan...@gmail.com

Karan Jeet

Apr 30, 2016, 11:01:38 AM4/30/16
to HeatSync Labs
Have a look :

luvcview -d /dev/sda1 -L

luvcview 0.2.6

SDL information:
  Video driver: x11
  A window manager is available
Device information:
  Device path:  /dev/video1
Stream settings:
  Frame format: YUYV
Unable to set format: Input/output error
 Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatal
theeex@theeex-Ipc:~$ luvcview -d /dev/video1 -L
luvcview 0.2.6

SDL information:
  Video driver: x11
  A window manager is available
Device information:
  Device path:  /dev/video1
{ pixelformat = 'YUYV', description = 'YUYV 4:2:2' }
{ discrete: width = 3448, height = 808 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 1748, height = 408 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/120, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 898, height = 200 }
	Time interval between frame: 20833/5000000, 1/120, 1/60, 1/30,
{ pixelformat = 'RGB3', description = 'RGB3' }
{ discrete: width = 3448, height = 808 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 1744, height = 408 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/120, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 896, height = 200 }
	Time interval between frame: 20833/5000000, 1/120, 1/60, 1/30,
{ pixelformat = 'BGR3', description = 'BGR3' }
{ discrete: width = 3448, height = 808 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 1744, height = 408 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/120, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 896, height = 200 }
	Time interval between frame: 20833/5000000, 1/120, 1/60, 1/30,
{ pixelformat = 'YU12', description = 'YU12' }
{ discrete: width = 3448, height = 808 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 1744, height = 408 }
	Time interval between frame: 1/120, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8,
{ discrete: width = 896, height = 200 }
	Time interval between frame: 20833/5000000, 1/120, 1/60, 1/30,
{ pixelformat = 'YV12', description = 'YV12' }

theeex@theeex-Ipc:~$ luvcview -d /dev/video1 -i 60 -s 1748x408 -f YUYV

luvcview 0.2.6

SDL information:
  Video driver: x11
  A window manager is available
Device information:
  Device path:  /dev/video1
Stream settings:
  Frame format: YUYV
  Frame size:   1748x408
  Frame rate:   60 fps
Unable to requeue buffer: No such device
Error grabbing
Unable to stop capture: No such device
Cleanup done. Exiting ...

Any suggestions

Tiago Trocoli

May 3, 2016, 3:08:57 AM5/3/16
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Hello Karan,

A few people had the same issue as you. I am not sure about the reason of this bug.
I guess the bug could be something linked with the kernel device permission, or data band at usb3.0.
For now, I can not check this issue. If you investigate and solve this problem, I will appreciate to share the solution with us, or submit a pull request on github.

Regards

Karan Jeet

May 23, 2016, 3:52:56 AM5/23/16
to HeatSync Labs
Finally PS4 Eye working !!.
Soldering directly to the USB 3.0 header and it started streaming :D

Tiago Trocoli

May 23, 2016, 4:47:25 AM5/23/16
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Karan Jeet!!

Have you used the ps4 eye tool I suggested?
And, if you made any modification in that tool, could you share with us!?

Regards!

Karan Jeet

Jun 4, 2016, 4:57:27 AM6/4/16
to HeatSync Labs
Hi Tiago

I dont know why but I cant run ps4eye on ubuntu, I tried few other codes too.
Everytime I get black frame, no errors :|. I guess I'm missing something, I wil try again in sometime and let you know when i sort it out.

:D

Eugene Bartosh

Sep 29, 2016, 4:48:07 PM9/29/16
to HeatSync Labs
Hi Guys,

Seems to be the only thread in the whole Internet.... the rest of this planet's population are simply buying Bumblebee2 or what? :-)

The camera has wonderful features... but does not work for me so far...
1. soldering was lucky but not from first try (swapped data wires in inverse order first time)
2. camera is visible as unknown USB3 device in lsusb -t
3. setup firmware from there https://github.com/longjie/ps4eye (there are couple other repos but firmware file seems to be the same everywhere) - success "PS4 camera firmware uploaded and device reset"

Finally, guvcview (or whatever) reports:
eugene@EBUB:~/ps4eye/script$ guvcview
GUVCVIEW: version 2.0.2
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory
GUVCVIEW: couldn't get a valid audio context for the selected api - disabling audio
libv4l2: error turning on stream: No space left on device
V4L2_CORE: (VIDIOC_STREAMON) Unable to start stream: No space left on device
V4L2_CORE: (get_v4l2_frame) video stream must be started first
V4L2_CORE: (get_v4l2_frame) video stream must be started first
V4L2_CORE: (get_v4l2_frame) video stream must be started first
V4L2_CORE: (get_v4l2_frame) video stream must be started first

Any hint or suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!
Eugene