Help for an engraving project?

Annabel Peltzer

Oct 10, 2021, 8:09:08 PM10/10/21
to HeatSync Labs

Hi there,

The Mesa Community College Math Club visited HeatSync Labs in the spring of 2020. It was very interesting and I often think back to it, and I still have my pi keychain engraving our former president made for us at HeatSync. I am now the president of Math Club and am putting together member swag, and I thought students would appreciate 10-15 small, circular, wooden keychains with the Unit Circle engraved on them. I am not yet a member, but I wondered whether someone at HeatSync would be willing to work with me in using the software for modeling the keychain and then printing them. Here is a picture of what I’m trying to create. It’s a breadboard, but I’d be using a similar idea and just scaling the Unit Circle down.

Thank you,

Annabel Peltzer

wood unit circle engraving.jpg

David S Flores

Oct 10, 2021, 8:39:38 PM10/10/21
to HeatSync Labs
Hi Annabel,

If you can drop by on Friday evening around 7pm or Saturday around noon I should be able to help.

-David

Annabel Peltzer

Oct 15, 2021, 12:19:00 AM10/15/21
to HeatSync Labs
I appreciate your willingness to help. My apologies for the delayed response...I've been recovering from eye abrasions and wasn't able to open my eyes for days so I'm catching up on messages now. I think I'll need to reschedule for next week or so. Are you usually at HeatSync on Fridays and Saturdays?

SM Newstead

Oct 15, 2021, 1:43:37 AM10/15/21
to HeatSync Labs
I used to be president of MCC math club! So did another of our members.

milton.ja...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2021, 11:13:44 AM10/15/21
to HeatSync Labs
Not that anyone here would need any help, but you *should* be able to load this directly into lightburn on the little laser: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Unit_circle_angles.svg

Annabel Peltzer

Jan 10, 2022, 5:20:16 PM1/10/22
to HeatSync Labs
Hi everyone. I had to put this project on halt for a while but would like to finish it up before school starts again. If someone would be willing to help me engrave a unit circle on small pieces of wood, I'd appreciate it. I'm interested in coming to public hours this Wednesday (1/12) to work on it if anyone is available to help. Do I need to bring my own wood? Do I need any kind of software downloaded onto my computer to use the machine?

Thank you,
Annabel

Thorsten Barth

Jan 11, 2022, 5:39:13 PM1/11/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Why not Laser it? Does it NEED to be engraved?

Annabel Peltzer

Jan 11, 2022, 6:45:16 PM1/11/22
to HeatSync Labs
I was thinking of laser engraving the unit circle into the wood. I had done that for another project. Does that make more sense? I'm still learning the lingo, so let me know if I need to clarify anything! :)

I'd like it to look like a smaller version of the picture attached.
wood unit circle engraving (1).jpg

Jot Powers

Jan 11, 2022, 7:09:08 PM1/11/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
To directly answer your questions:
  • It would be super easy if you already have an SVG of the design.  If you have to make the design, that takes time, but you want the output to be svg.  Inkscape is commonly used for that, but is not intuitive.  But it is free.  :)
  • Yes, you should buy your own wood, but we might have scrap there you could use if you want to risk it.  I haven't been, but reportedly Timber Hardwoods on Southern and Stapley has reasonably priced sheets of thin plywood that work well.
-Jot

Annabel Peltzer

Jan 11, 2022, 7:57:20 PM1/11/22
to HeatSync Labs
Thank you, that's helpful. I see HeatSync is holding a virtual event covering Inkscape (great timing!) so I might attend that to figure out how it works before I start lasering.

David S Flores

Jan 11, 2022, 8:04:15 PM1/11/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
If you still want to drop by on Wednesday,  I can help.

-David

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "HeatSync Labs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/heatsynclabs/a3cfb437-f05f-4f23-b5bd-3d0d47c201acn%40googlegroups.com.

Jot Powers

Jan 11, 2022, 8:05:21 PM1/11/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
Yep.  I just forgot to plug Eric's inkscape class.  :)

-Jot

Annabel Peltzer

Jan 11, 2022, 8:07:20 PM1/11/22
to HeatSync Labs
I'd be interested, thank you for your offer. I'd need help on Inkscape and I don't think I could buy wood by tomorrow. Would it be better to drop by next Wednesday? Will you be there next week?

David S Flores

Jan 11, 2022, 8:10:16 PM1/11/22
to heatsy...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there next Wednesday too.

Annabel Peltzer

Jan 11, 2022, 8:27:12 PM1/11/22
to HeatSync Labs
Sounds great! I'll put it on my calendar for next week.