Anonymously Tagging Machinery as Unusable

Darrell Wertz

Sep 18, 2022, 12:35:12 PM9/18/22
to HeatSync Labs
Hi Everyone,

Someone started "anonymously tagging" the drill presses as "DO NOT USE" because of some compromised condition (runout, wrong belts... ). Please be aware that machinery doesn't fix it self and  we don't have a maintenance person or repair department.

Please take ownership!
  • If you accidentally break or find a machine compromised, please add your name to a note.
  • Post a note to the groups about the machines condition.
  • If by chance that someone else fixes the machine, they can respond to you that its been repaired.
  • If you have the skill, you can repair it yourself or request help to make the repair.
We all want to be able to walk into the space and have working equipment, but you can't assume someone else to fix things. We are a 100% volunteer community that relies on our members to take ownership of every facet of the space.

Helping each other to make the space usable for everyone is at the core of HeatSync's values. Learning how to repair and maintain the equipment you use helps us to avoid a space full of broken equipment.

Thanks for your support,
Darrell W

Nate Caine

Sep 19, 2022, 12:12:37 AM9/19/22
to HeatSync Labs
Laser Cutter

Please DO NOT attempt to make repairs or adjustments to the laser cutters on your own.

If you encounter a problem, please note it in the log, and for something particularly serious, tag the machine as "Out of Service" and notify others about the problem via Google Groups or Slack.

There are a limited number of people around the lab that have the expertise to work on the machines. Unfortunately, there have been a few instances of well-meaning folks attempting to oil the machine, adjust the belts, or align the mirrors, etc. What's more, they did so without even noting their attempts in the log. This had the result of masking a developing problem or interfering with a repair that was already under way.

Stick to the regular cleaning that is part of the laser class training. Use the online log to note problems.

Electronics Area

If you think some test equipment needs repair or adjustment, we need to coordinate to make sure the repair is safe/effective, the adjustment is actually necessary, and problems are being tracked.