Tony Caulfield: Momma's Boy

Alex F. Vance

Apr 3, 2010, 10:00:56 AM4/3/10
to heathencity
Here's another bit of juicy teaser art from the awesome Phantastus, excerpted from the upcoming Volume 3 of Heathen City, due out this summer.

Here we see an expressionistic manifestation of one of Tony Caulfield's experiences under the care of medical professionals.

I've never, personally, had a bad hospital experience, but the concept of the medical world as a clinical, dehumanizing hell has long haunted me. In particular, there was a scene in the film Requiem For A Dream, near the end, where an old woman is being force-fed by two attendants. The male nurses chat casually with each other while they stuff the feeding tube down her throat, oblivious to the fact that she's in deep confusion and distress, since she can't communicate. What was especially striking about that was the fact that they weren't evil guys, they weren't even being careless.

Poor little Tony isn't quite so lucky. His body is broken in many places, and here these 'hands of blue' are poking and prodding and pulling from all directions, caring only about fixing his body, oblivious to the fragile mind that inhabits it.

And yes, Phantastus is as big a Firefly geek as I am — I gave a nerdy little squee when I saw she'd actually named one of the layers in the Photoshop file 'hands of blue' :)

Enjoy!

- Alex

HC-3-Phantastus-Sample-1.jpg
HC-3-Phantastus-Sample-1.jpg

Rabeson Franck

Apr 3, 2010, 12:23:30 PM4/3/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Whoa whoa... I certainly can understand Tony's pain here, even if my bad
experiences with the medical world never went quite as bad as his seems
to be. I just had three months of being stuffed with pills (one of which
required me to go on a strict saltless diet) and prodded with a needle
every morning... which was painless most of the time. Except, for
example, when that one nurse was pissed off about missing her date
(bitch!). That day, my morning injection was pure HELL ON EARTH ON
BEYOND. Yours truly couldn't walk for almost a day after that...
I guess I should be glad I never actually broke anything. Just treating
an illness was painful enough.

Anyway, enough rambling. Since I haven't gotten to read more about his
past and future wrongdoings yet, I'm allowed to feel bad for lil'Tony
here, am I?

Stuart McCarthy

Apr 3, 2010, 2:01:09 PM4/3/10
to Heathen City

> Here we see an expressionistic manifestation of one of Tony Caulfield's
> experiences under the care of medical professionals.
>
> I've never, personally, had a bad hospital experience, but the concept of
> the medical world as a clinical, dehumanizing hell has long haunted me. In
> particular, there was a scene in the film Requiem For A Dream, near the end,
> where an old woman is being force-fed by two attendants. The male nurses
> chat casually with each other while they stuff the feeding tube down her
> throat, oblivious to the fact that she's in deep confusion and distress,
> since she can't communicate. What was especially striking about that was the
> fact that they weren't evil guys, they weren't even being careless.
>
> Poor little Tony isn't quite so lucky. His body is broken in many places,
> and here these 'hands of blue' are poking and prodding and pulling from all
> directions, caring only about fixing his body, oblivious to the fragile mind
> that inhabits it.
>
> And yes, Phantastus is as big a Firefly geek as I am — I gave a nerdy little
> squee when I saw she'd actually named one of the layers in the Photoshop
> file 'hands of blue' :)
>
> Enjoy!
>
> - Alex

OOOOOOOOOOOH, that looks nasty! Even though our Tony's the bad guy,
I kind of feel sorry for him there.

Although my experiences in hospitals have never been anywhere near as
bad
as this, I must say the so-called "bedside manner" of a lot of the
nurses and
quacks I've met has usually left a lot to be desired.

Speaking of "Requiem For A Dream", that film starts off as a seedy
technicolor
roller-coaster ride, but the ending was a real kick in the teeth. I
can't beleive that
something as barbaric as shock-treatment is still being practiced
today.
What good does it actually do for the patient?

VahnFox

Apr 3, 2010, 2:11:07 PM4/3/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Shock treatment is actually a great way to associate negative feelings towards a particular something! In fact, many homosexuals in the late twentieth and early twenty-first have undergone similar treatment (maybe not electroshock, but certainly shock) and have successfully eradicated all traces of homosexual behavior (read: behavior) from their person.

Attach enough negativity to something, and you just won't want it, or be afraid to go for it.

Whether or not it's a moral therapeutic practice is an entirely different subject altogether.

Vahn A. Alkaid

Georgi Valchev

Apr 3, 2010, 4:14:26 PM4/3/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Doctors in my country are much more humane- we either neglect our patients or we outright kill em, be it financially or physically XD

As for psychiatrists- it's not a line of work, it's a diagnosis ;)

Have fun and be healthy, OR ELSE... XD

--
Ars adeo latet arte sua.

Steve Foxx

Apr 3, 2010, 9:26:57 PM4/3/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com

I’ve had that kind of hospital experience, and I found it striking how well that looks like how I felt.

Quite a well done piece of artwork!

~Steve Foxx

--
"A fox is a wolf who sends flowers." -  Ruth Weston