Fan Fiction and Fan Art Contest, anyone?

Alex F. Vance

Oct 7, 2010, 10:38:18 AM10/7/10
to heathencity
Boys and girls!

Now that HC3 is well and truly on sale I'm thinking it's time to do something I've been wanting to do for a while: a Heathen City fan fiction and fan art contest.

For the fan fiction side I'd be looking for short stories preferably between 2500 and 5000 words, and as a prize I'd hire one of the HC artists to make an illustration of the story or record a dramatic reading.

For the fan art side we'd look for full-color, 8.5" x 11", 300dpi minimum. For the winner I'd write or record a short piece of fiction based on the illustration, and present that to them in a nice li'l well-laid-out booklet with their art on the cover, or maybe a poster.

I'm still working out a few details. One issue is that I'd need to build a disclaimer to cover myself from later accusations of plagiarism, which is actually kind of serious business. For instance, if a writer invents a plot twist, by coincidence, that I've already planned to incorporate in a later issue, he could make a case that I stole the idea from him. This is why writers are advised against reading any fanfiction, but in this case I'd have to judge the submissions, soooo...

I think it'd be fun, though. I've encountered a few bits of fanart here and there, one musician indicated he was working on a song, and I even found a chick on FurAffinity whose persona was basically (no joke!) a hetero version of Malloy. His name? Malloy.

What do you guys think? Would any of you be up to the challenge?

- Alex Fucking Vance

stuart mccarthy

Oct 7, 2010, 12:40:00 PM10/7/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I reckon I'd be up for it. Are there certain restrictions as to the content/drawing style?

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 16:38:18 +0200
Subject: [Heathen City] Fan Fiction and Fan Art Contest, anyone?
From: alexf...@gmail.com
To: heath...@googlegroups.com

Joseph Asdust

Oct 7, 2010, 3:40:07 PM10/7/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
I even found a chick on FurAffinity whose persona was basically (no joke!) a hetero version of Malloy. His name? Malloy.

I found her on Furcadia.

Stuart McCarthy

Oct 19, 2010, 11:38:12 AM10/19/10
to Heathen City
> of Malloy. His name? *Malloy.*
>
> What do you guys think? Would any of you be up to the challenge?
>
> - Alex Fucking Vance

Yo, Alex!!

Here's a rough I just did for my piece:
http://duraluminwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d312ozp

What's the deadline for the contest again?

Alex Vance

Oct 26, 2010, 5:23:40 AM10/26/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Good lord, you're a quick one!

Haven't even made the proper announcement yet :)

Gimme a few days to get that all set up, yeah?

- Alex

Stuart McCarthy

Nov 10, 2010, 11:20:01 PM11/10/10
to Heathen City

> Good lord, you're a quick one!
>
> Haven't even made the proper announcement yet :)
>
> Gimme a few days to get that all set up, yeah?
>
> - Alex

Hello,

So is everything set up then?

Ridger Wolf

Nov 16, 2010, 7:52:15 AM11/16/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
ruff ruff ruff ruff.....
and the list goes QUIET

Nov 18, 2010, 7:46:05 AM11/18/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Crap! I'm alive. Swear to God. I'm alive.

I'm stretched in too many different directions at present to run a contest for the forseeable future, sad to say.

Stu: the preview of your piece rocks. If you fancy finishing it up, I'll see to it you're rewarded!

- Alex

Stuart McCarthy

Nov 18, 2010, 8:08:55 AM11/18/10
to Heathen City

> Crap! I'm alive. Swear to God. I'm alive.
>
> I'm stretched in too many different directions at present to run a contest
> for the forseeable future, sad to say.
>
> Stu: the preview of your piece rocks. If you fancy finishing it up, I'll see
> to it you're rewarded!
>
> - Alex

HMmm......I like the sound of that.

I'll get back to work on that piece right away.
It'll be quite a laborious process, though.

Pity about the contest, though, but never mind! These things happen,
eh?

Alex Vance

Nov 18, 2010, 10:20:55 AM11/18/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
One day, one day...

You were the only one showing any interest, though, so it's not like you'd have had much competition :)

- Alex

Denon Servo

Nov 18, 2010, 12:28:07 PM11/18/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
If I ever get a break from the ungodly amount of school work I have I will give this contest a shot.

Sent from my iPhone

Blue_Panther

Nov 18, 2010, 8:15:49 PM11/18/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Me for my part would have given the contest a go. I like working on HC drawings :D

-B_P