HC3 Cover art (awesome)

1 view

Alex F. Vance

Mar 20, 2010, 11:10:23 AM3/20/10
to heathencity
Gentlemen! Ladies! Belgians!

Kaji, the artist who produced the fabulous cover art for the second Heathen City book is back and badder than ever.

I gave him a big-ass laundry list of a trillion things I wanted crammed into one image. He fought back and made a sketch that contained only a billion things, saying that any more would look dumb, like a birthday cake that's also a pretzel and a fish taco. I put my foot down and pretended to cry, but Kaji saw through it — artists are clever like that. I screamed and pulled his hair, he gave me a wedgie and scratched at my eyes and this whole thing was really starting to work for me when his girlfriend came home and we thought it'd just be best if he just drew the cover instead.

Blood, guns, chemistry, logotyped letterhead and the fragmentary scraps of significant characters in the different circumstances in which they find themselves... What more can you ask for?

I like it when a cover encodes the story that's in the book. If there's any chance I'll try to think of some way to even include the ending right on the front page, hidden beneath layers of symbolism.

A mugshot. A mis-developed photo of a hospitalized figure. A feline woman in a pearl necklace shedding a tear. And whoever that scary, fangy gentleman is in the lower right.

What do you think it means?

- Alex
HC3-Cover-Front-medium.jpg

Rabeson Franck

Mar 20, 2010, 11:34:56 AM3/20/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Ho boy. I think I just wet myself. that or that crazy pup peed on my
seat again.

Claudia Schmidt

Mar 20, 2010, 12:12:28 PM3/20/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Kaji knows how to rock your socks. Hah! =D

Alex F. Vance

Mar 20, 2010, 12:55:53 PM3/20/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Lordy lordy, Miss Claudy! You ain't wrong -- and that's why I love it :)

On Mar 20, 2010, at 17:12, Claudia Schmidt
<alecto...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Kaji knows how to rock your socks. Hah! =D

> --
> .

Georgi Valchev

Mar 20, 2010, 1:21:06 PM3/20/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Lovely! I'll be sure to order this immediately when it becomes available! :)

Now let's hear some spoilers regarding the interior art crew :P

--
Ars adeo latet arte sua.

Keks-a...@gmx.de

Mar 20, 2010, 8:08:56 PM3/20/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
lol now everyone knows the whole dirty story ;)
Btw. since you also posted the cover on twitter, would it be okay if I upload the cover on FA or should I wait for your approval?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:10:23 +0100
> Von: "Alex F. Vance" <alexf...@gmail.com>
> An: heathencity <heath...@googlegroups.com>
> Betreff: [Heathen City] HC3 Cover art (awesome)

> Gentlemen! Ladies! Belgians!
>
> Kaji, the artist who produced the fabulous cover art for the second
> Heathen
> City book is back and badder than ever.
>
> I gave him a big-ass laundry list of a trillion things I wanted crammed
> into
> one image. He fought back and made a sketch that contained only a billion
> things, saying that any more would look dumb, like a birthday cake that's
> also a pretzel and a fish taco. I put my foot down and pretended to cry,
> but
> Kaji saw through it — artists are clever like that. I screamed and
> pulled
> his hair, he gave me a wedgie and scratched at my eyes and this whole
> thing

> was *really* starting to work for me when his girlfriend came home and we

> thought it'd just be best if he just drew the cover instead.
>
> Blood, guns, chemistry, logotyped letterhead and the fragmentary scraps of
> significant characters in the different circumstances in which they find
> themselves... What more can you ask for?
>
> I like it when a cover encodes the story that's in the book. If there's
> any
> chance I'll try to think of some way to even include the ending right on
> the
> front page, hidden beneath layers of symbolism.
>
> A mugshot. A mis-developed photo of a hospitalized figure. A feline woman
> in
> a pearl necklace shedding a tear. And whoever that scary, fangy gentleman
> is
> in the lower right.
>
> What do you think it means?
>
> - Alex
>

> --

GMX.at - Österreichs FreeMail-Dienst mit über 2 Mio Mitgliedern
E-Mail, SMS & mehr! Kostenlos: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atfreemail

Alex Vance

Mar 20, 2010, 8:25:38 PM3/20/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
Pssst! When you reply to a message on the mailing list, by default your message is sent back to the mailing list instead of the sender ;p

And sorry I didn't send you a note about this already! By all means post it online, people deserve to see. I've put it up on my FA already :)

Ridger Wolf

Mar 23, 2010, 10:19:30 AM3/23/10
to heath...@googlegroups.com
VERY VERY CLEVER.
I think that is exceptional cover art. Clever interaction. Love how it layers like that, VERY well done, art quality is exceptional.