RUSA's Rando Scout Award, who's playing?

Dan Driscoll

Jan 17, 2021, 8:29:10 PM1/17/21
to LSR Group, Hill Country Randonneurs, Houston Randonneurs, Heart of Texas Randonneurs
Fellow Rando's…….Who’s Playing the RUSA Rando Scout Game?

I am, and I love it….. At some point I will ride every LSR route on the RUSA website, and then work to also ride every HCR, HoT and HR route. When a new route is created, it will be on my “Check out" a new route, some new roads, some different scenery…..

One thing in particular that I like about this Award, is that it discourages me from riding the same old perm over and over because it’s easy, which I have fallen into the trap of doing, many times in the past….. Perms don’t count.

The Rando Scout Award also helps get riders off the couch and willing to dive to see routes that might be a little further drive away. We have some really Oldies but Goodies, that don’t make it on the calendar often because they are a bit further to drive. I’ll try to add an Oldies once and while. We have some great routes out West and further East.

Another thing that I like about The Rando Scout is that it encourages riders to help their RBA’s come up with new Routes, or turn existing perms into Club Routes. Locally we have Tibor, Stephen, Gary and Pam...who add a few new routes per year. It can also encourage riders to show up for a Pop or Brevet, rather than sleep in and ride that perm, with out seeing anyone.

As we start to move past covid concerns in the months to come, we will be promoting more Rando Scout Award rides.

What I noticed today is that Rob Tulloh one of HCR’s route makers, is a couple of unique routes away from moving up a category in his Rando Scout Award, let’s encourage and applaud him.

If you move up a category in the Rando Scout Award this year, email me and I will mail you a Rando Scout Bumper Sticker at my expense. While supplies last.

To see where you are, check out the RUSA Website at;    https://rusa.org/pages/awardees-rando-scout

To look up your individual Rando Scout count try this:    https://rusa.org/pages/rando-scout-lookup

Want a list of the all the routes that you can pick from in you local area or that might be a close drive away?:          https://rusa.org/cgi-bin/routesearch_GF.pl

Texas has about 250 Unique Event routes. If you see one that you have not ridden but would like to, maybe contact the Local RBA and offer to help them host that route ;=)

DanD

Gary Kanaby

Jan 19, 2021, 1:04:04 PM1/19/21
to Heart of Texas Randonneurs
Hi,
  I am at 71!  Going to get to the next level this year.