Transition Film: "Dirt! the Movie", Monday 20th January

1 view

Beth Guttridge

Jan 17, 2014, 3:12:33 PM1/17/14
to heart-and-soul-trans...@googlegroups.com

Our next Transition Town Cheltenham film night is Monday 20th January at 7.30pm, when we will be showing "Dirt! the Movie" at St. Mark's Methodist Church, Gloucester Road, GL51 8PX (*not* St Mark C of E on Church Road).

The film is about topsoil.

"Dirt! The Movie is an insightful and timely film that tells the story of the glorious and unappreciated material beneath our feet.

Inspired by William Bryant Logan’s acclaimed book Dirt: The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth, Dirt! The Movie takes a humorous and substantial look into the history and current state of the living organic matter that we come from and will later return to. Dirt! The Movie will make you want to get dirty!"

See http://www.thedirtmovie.org/ for more information and a trailer.

Tea, coffee and biscuits or cake will be served. There will be chance for a discussion afterwards. There is no charge, but donations will be welcome to cover costs.

The next film showing after this (and the last we have planned for the moment) will be a change to our advertised program. Following our showing of the controversial Koyaanisquatsi (it really split the audience and raised lots of questions) we will now be showing its sequel, Powaqqatsi on Monday February 3rd, 7.30pm at St. Mark's Methodist Church.

"While Koyaanisqatsi focused on modern life in industrial countries, Powaqqatsi, which similarly has no dialogue, focuses more on the conflict in third world countries between traditional ways of life and the new ways of life introduced with industrialization. As with Koyaanisqatsi, the film is strongly related to its soundtrack, written by Philip Glass. Here, human voices (especially children's and mainly from South America and Africa) appear more than in Koyaanisqatsi, in harmony with the film's message and images."

Beth