Medical Information Retrieval Tutorial at AIME 2019 conference

Lorraine Goeuriot

Apr 11, 2019, 3:40:08 AM4/11/19
to bio...@bionlp.org, healthinfor...@googlegroups.com
(Apologies for cross-posting)
MEDICAL INFORMATION RETRIEVAL TUTORIAL
AIME 2019 - Poznan, Poland
26th of June 2019

Presenters: Prof. Lynda Tamine (Université Paul Sabatier, France) and Dr Lorraine Goeuriot (Université Grenoble Alpes, France)

This tutorial will firstly introduce the IR basics and the potential of IR in the clinical informatics community, explore the peculiarities of medical IR including health-related queries and tasks and knowledge resources. Secondly, we will focus on the techniques and methods that allow tackling medical IR challenges such as semantic gap, negation and result appraisal. We will cover both the symbolic semantics through the use of external resources (eg. UMLS, MeSH, Gene Ontology) and the distributional semantics relying on words collocations in the corpus including learning approaches of representation of concepts and documents. Thirdly, we will provide basics of IR evaluation benchmarking and develop a roadmap on the main evaluation campaigns existing in medical IR and then report the key lessons. Finally, we summarize the research findings in the area and outline the key open research questions.
More information can be found on our website: http://mrim.imag.fr/User/lorraine.goeuriot/tuto-medical-ir/

Registration and general information about AIME 2019 can be found here: http://aime19.aimedicine.info/index.php

We’re looking forward to meeting you in AIME!
Lynda & Lorraine