Thank you to all our members for endorsing our new Board of Directors and to my fellow Directors for choosing me to be Kantara President and Board Chair for 2023. I'm proud to continue serving Kantara's members to advance the state of practice for assured identification and personal data management.
2023 promises to be another 'surge' year for digital identity and credentials. The online world is shifting to make digital credentials a centrepiece of the trust relationship between
individuals and organizations. This means that assurance of identity information management practices continues to increase in importance.
We are seeing initiatives from around the world that require higher assurance identification when dealing with government-issued identification credentials, when managing personal health information, and as a foundational element of anti-fraud programs.
Significant examples include:
* The US Federal Government intention to issue directives for anti-fraud measures partly as a reaction to the massive fraud losses in pandemic-related relief programs.
* In Health IT, the US Office of the National Coordinator, through its TEFCA initiative, is encouraging identity proofing service providers to be certified for NIST IAL2.
* In the EU, eIDAS v2 and the EU Digital Identity Wallet require high assurance for identification data.
These regulatory pressures are driving interest in Kantara's Identity Assurance Framework and Trust Operations Program. This in turn is increasing interest in Kantara from other jurisdictions.
On the Innovation front, our work groups continue to break new ground, providing input to:
NIST SP 800-63 v4 draft,
- new consent management specifications and tools,
- identification for underserved populations,
- diversity, equity and inclusion integration,
- promotion of User-Managed Access, and
- guidance for producers and holders of mobile driving licenses and digital credentials.
I encourage each of you to spread the word about Kantara and your ability to have a greater voice in the industry as a result of your participation. Since Kantara is a member-driven organization, our focus is on bringing new members into the fold to maintain our ranks and broaden Kantara's reach.
I look forward to seeing many
of you at conferences, discussing topics of the day on work group calls, and driving the evolution of trustworthy use of identity and personal data!
My best regards