MPH Program Advice

Danielle Bäck

Apr 28, 2015, 5:54:08 PM4/28/15
to health_truman
Hello Trumanity,

This listserv hasn't been used much recently, but I thought it would be the best group to reach out to for advice on MPH programs. I'm currently a third year medical student at Harvard and am considering pursuing a MPH at HSPH. If you have experience with the MPH program at Harvard (or other MPH programs), I would love to hear your thoughts on how the MPH degree prepared you for a career in public service.

Please let me know if you'd be willing to chat briefly over the phone (or email)!

Best wishes,
Danielle

(Arizona 2011)

--
Danielle Bäck
Harvard Medical School

mccs...@umich.edu

May 21, 2018, 12:47:05 PM5/21/18
to Truman: Global Health
Hi Danielle,

I wish I could have responded to you sooner but I just discovered this group.

I received my MPH last year from the University of Michigan in Epidemiology. I truly enjoyed this program as you were required to, not only take courses on statistics and epi methods, but students must fulfill Breadth, Integration, and Capstone (BIC) requirements, which means that students take courses in public health policy and health education, as well. UofM also offers a wide array of courses, including, if you are interested in applied public health, an Applied Epidemiology Course, which teaches students about utilizing epi methods at the state or local level. I believe that this well-rounded educational experience helped prepare me for the CDC/CSTE Applied Epidemiology Fellowship, which I am completing now at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. I work specifically in the Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases Section. The courses that I took were helpful because I learned how to analyze epidemiological data, how to communicate with different audiences about health issues, drafting and delivering surveys, and obviously keeping abreast with current epidemiological research.

I know this is a poor summary above but, if you would like to speak off-line, I would be more than happy to talk to you. Even if you do not attend UofM, I think it would be helpful to speak to someone with an MPH to help you generate some ideas of what courses you may want to take based on your interests. Just let me know and I hope to be of some assistance. Good luck on applying!

Respectfully,

Stephanie McCracken

(Mississippi 2014)