April 2016 Update for Donna

Donna Smith

Apr 2, 2016, 1:09:59 PM4/2/16
to health-scape
I have now completed 13 physical therapy sessions primarily focused on
my left shoulder with some attention to my neck and right shoulder
thrown in. I’m not scheduled for anything in April because I’m
traveling 5 times this month, but I will start up in May with PT for
my lower back.

Along with my PT, I am learning much about the way the body is
designed to work most effectively. Why don’t we know this stuff
anyway? I think we should have classes from a very early age about
what constitutes good posture, why it is important to our bodies to
maintain good posture and how to reach, hold and carry things.
Instead, at age 57, I’m trying to relearn all of these things because
I damaged my body by not doing it right in the first place.

Another outcome of PT for me is a series of stretches and
strengthening exercises focusing currently on my arms, shoulders and
neck including a lot of core stability work. My routine at present is
about 20 minutes each day.

I start with stretches for my neck and shoulders including pects, and
then do four different sets of strengthening exercises with the
exercise bands. It may not sound like much, but it is definitely
helping. Furthermore, I am looking forward to learning how to ease
back into exercising without causing more damage to my back. When I
put those two routines together, I’ll just about have a workout!

My goal? I could spout a lot of stuff about fitness and general
wellbeing as I age, all of which would absolutely be true, but I will
just simplify it by saying that I want my legs back! I have nice legs
and I’m looking forward to showing them off again once I have them
toned up!

Here’s to progress!

Donna

Christina

Apr 2, 2016, 8:33:59 PM4/2/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, Donna!
Could you share your strengthening exercises with us?
Christina
--

---

Donna Smith

Apr 3, 2016, 7:42:01 AM4/3/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Here is a quick explanation.

1. Rows: Attach the bands so that they are about waist high or a
little lower. I catch mine in the side of the door when I close it on
the little piece that the bands slide through. Holding elbows close to
your side, pull back on the bands letting your elbows go back, but not
out from your body. Make sure the release of the motion is gradual.
2-3 sets of 10 rows with a short rest period of about a minute between
each set.
2. Lateral rotations: Keeping the bands in the same place in the door,
stand with your side to the door and hold one side of the band loosely
in your hand closest to the door. With the other hand, grab the handle
of the band by reaching across your body. Plant your elbow next to
your body and don’t let it move. One way to do this is to place a
rolled up hand towel between your elbow and your side so that you have
to clamp down to hold it there. Then pull the band across your body
rotating your arm outward. Keep your wrist straight. The hand closest
to the door holding the other side of the band is just there as an
anchor.
3. Place the band under both feet and make sure the bands are even in
your hands. Holding elbows close to your sides, and grasping the
handles underhanded, pull them up till the bands are stretched;
somewhere between straight out and shoulder height.
4. Hook the bands over the top of the door. Grasp both sides just
above the handles, actually holding onto the band at the end. Elbows
in, pull down till your arms are fully extended down.

For each set, do 10 repetitions and at least 2 set each.

The problem with writing up such instructions is that the position of
your body is so important to doing these right. You should be
tightening your core muscles with each exercise. Your shoulders need
to be straight – not held too high or too far forward. Also, the
position of your arms including wrists are important. Finally, you
want all of the motion to be in the arms and not helped along with
leaning your body in the direction you are pulling.

Hope this is helpful.

Donna

Christina

Apr 3, 2016, 8:24:01 AM4/3/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Donna. This is very helpful.
Thank you for explaining all of these.

Christina

Apr 3, 2016, 3:26:06 PM4/3/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Donna. Which brand of bands do you use? I'm seeing tons on Amazon and they all have amazingly good reviews and awful reviews.
Thanks.
Christina

Apr 10, 2016, 10:28:38 AM4/10/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I was familiar with them as well. I also used to do most of these
exercises using hand weights. I have to work up to that.

I took my bands with me last week when I was in San Antonio, but I did
not use them. That's a week now without keeping up my meger exercises.
I need to get back on track. I will get back on track.

Donna

Matthew Nixon

Apr 10, 2016, 10:48:58 AM4/10/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Do it!
I expect a positive report by the end of this week;)

Christina

Apr 10, 2016, 11:07:51 AM4/10/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Uh-oh, Donna.

What brand/type of bands do you use?

Donna Smith

Apr 17, 2016, 1:13:22 PM4/17/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
I read this taunt from the mighty Matt on Friday and immediately
thought, "I'm going to be in real trouble come Sunday!" <smile> I've
done nothing to improve my fitness activities.

I'm using BodyLastics found at www.bodylastics.com. I've had these for
about seven years with periodic high levels of use.

Donna

Christina

Apr 17, 2016, 1:16:10 PM4/17/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Donna.

Matthew Nixon

Apr 17, 2016, 2:01:01 PM4/17/16
to health...@googlegroups.com
Clearly the spectre of my wrath is not the motivation I had hoped;)
I shall have to think of something else.