New Foods

Lisa Salinger

Oct 28, 2018, 10:06:52 PM10/28/18
to health...@googlegroups.com

Well, they’re new to me. These are things I recommend because they’re just plain good. Yes, they’re healthy too, but what’s the point if they taste bad. And before I launch into my discoveries, has anyone found a mayo or mayo substitute they like? I am using Greek yogurt for some things, but would like to find a decent low fat mayonnaise that is creamy, and doesn’t taste sweet, for goodness sake. That’s an abomination! (smile)

Anyway, I’ve found Mio, which are these drops you put in water to give it a little flavor. I never thought I’d like anything like this because I tried Crystal Lite, and didn’t like it. I don’t have this every day, but it’s nice for a change. The containers are small, a little bigger than a travel hand sanitizer, and smaller than some. Be careful which one you get though. Mio Energy has caffeine. Guess who found that one out the hard way?

Generally, I don’t like protein bars all that much. Most of them seem to be sickeningly sweet. Then, I found meat bars and had to wonder where they had been all my life. I’ve tried two. One are Tanka Bars. They also have them in bites. The flavor I tried was buffalo and cranberry. I’ve also tried Sesame Barbecue Chicken Bars by Epic protein. I’d be hard pressed to say which is my favorite. While you can get all the stuff I’m mentioning in this message from Amazon, or your local grocery store in the case of the perishables, I’ve heard Target has the Epic Meat Bars.

I feel the way about ranch dressing that I do about mayonnaise. It should be creamy, and not at all sweet. I struck gold when I discovered Hidden Valley Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing. 2 tbsp. are 60 calories, so not bad, and it tastes delicious!

I like to dip veggies in my ranch, but another thing I like to have it with are the Lean Cuisine Spring Rolls. They have a couple flavors, and I’ve liked all of them, either with or without the ranch.

Finally, I found Quaker mini rice cakes. My mom had gotten some caramel ones, which were ok, but my tastes tend more toward savory than sweet. Just as an FYI, she also got some of the same flavor in the store brand, and they were awful. The Quaker ones were pretty good, but my favorites were the ranch and cheddar. They’re naturally low calorie, and they have that crunch appeal.

Finally, you can now get Starkist or Bumblebee tuna that is flavored and comes in pouches. I know they have lemon pepper, ranch, and a few others. Naturally, I like the ranch, which surprisingly has very little fat. I was excited to hear they also had Buffalo chicken, but I was really disappointed. It was more sauce, more expensive, and very little actual flavor.

I thought I was done, and then I remembered Birdseye mashed cauliflower. While I can certainly make this myself, I do like the convenience.

Those are all my actual food discoveries at the moment. However, I also got a spiralizer, and have made zucchini noodles with that. It’s just plain fun; kind of like a Playdo Fun Factory for grown-ups. This past week, I ordered myself a small blender. All the ingredients are added to a sports bottle and blended. Then, it’s just a matter of changing tops to drink. I’ve never been into smoothies, so am still finding out what I do and don’t like. Milk is out, for sure. All that froth! Yuck! I’m anxious to get some Greek yogurt and frozen berries. I think that’s probably going to be my preferred combo, plus or minus minor additions.

Anyway, this has been a novel. Thanks for reading, and I’d love to hear others’ tasty and healthy food finds.

Lisa Salinger

<lisa...@ptd.net>

Amber Wallenstein

Oct 29, 2018, 9:24:21 AM10/29/18
to health...@googlegroups.com
I like the tuna packets. I get the thai chili ones, though I do eat the lemon pepper ones, too. I think my store also had a peppercorn one I liked but that may have been an off brand.
I will have to get the water enhancers. I don’t use them often, but the ones I get are the little sugar packets… Probably not the best for me.
I have also discovered honey wheat pretzels. Pretty good when you want something to munch on.
I do like the mini rice cakes though you have to be careful… I find some taste awful! I think I got the plain ones one time and it was what I imagine cardboard tastes like. lol

--

---

greens...@wind-haven.net

Oct 29, 2018, 4:47:03 PM10/29/18
to health...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I second the Mio drops.  Those are really good.  Some Desani flavors aren’t bad but that all depends on which flavor you get.

For healthy foods, I like almonds, beef jerkey, and wasabi peas.

Christina

Matthew Nixon

Oct 30, 2018, 5:09:37 PM10/30/18
to health...@googlegroups.com

For healthy foods I’ve had some good luck with the Birdseye frozen steam vegetable sides.  They’re only about 400 calories and are an easy way to fit some veggies into my diet.  They’re also portable for a quick lunch with zero prep.

My grocery sells boneless skinless chicken tenders (not the fried food that’s breaded but just pieces of raw chicken down to the size of a chicken tender.)  I’ve found I can drop several packages in a glass bowl with any number of marinades and have an easy bake meal ready in 25 minutes—just preheat oven to 350, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add the desired number of tenders…and bake for 25 minutes.  It requires almost no prep at all and depending on serving size can last for several days in the marinade.

Lastly, I discovered something wonderful in my grocery’s international section.  It seems that many of the Latino items are made with little to no additives and they taste amazing.  I found this marinade called mojo by Goya that does wonderful things to meat.  They have a pineapple flavor that made the best pork tenderloin I’ve ever had.  A lot of their ingredients are cheaper than I would have expected and are better for you too.

I personally just go with the Helman’s light mayonnaise in the plastic squeeze bottle, though I’m supposed to be able to make my own in the blender…so that might be a thing.

Oct 30, 2018, 7:11:57 PM10/30/18
to health...@googlegroups.com
I’m definitely going to have to try the marinades!!!
Thanks for the tip!
Amber

Lisa Salinger

Oct 30, 2018, 8:49:45 PM10/30/18
to health...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for sharing that marinade in particular. It sounds wonderful.

Lisa