Question about opsis hardware

Nathan Garver-Daniels

Jun 7, 2018, 9:49:22 PM6/7/18
to hdmi2usb - A HDMI capture solution

All,
   Apologies if these are stupid questions.  I've been bouncing around in the documentation, the wiki on github, github issues and commits, the debconf notes, etc. but haven't come up with solid answers.  I've just received an opsis board from Numato, with the hopes of using to do video capture at an astronomy conference in a few weeks.

1) Is there a *best* latest firmware to load?  Running the "download-prebuilt-firmware" command doesn't seem to quite work, although it shows me which tags have which platforms available

2) Does Displayport input/output work?  It doesn't show up as an option when I connect to the opsis when it's in hdmi2usb mode.

3)  If I have two inputs, can I switch back and forth between them by issuing the appropriate video mixer commands?

Thanks, and thanks for the neat project.  I was going to buy a commercial product but this just seemed more fun.

-Nate Garver-Daniels

Kyle Robbertze

Jun 11, 2018, 6:39:45 AM6/11/18
to hdmi...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/2018 03:49, Nathan Garver-Daniels wrote:

> All,
>    Apologies if these are stupid questions.  I've been bouncing around
> in the documentation, the wiki on github, github issues and commits, the
> debconf notes, etc. but haven't come up with solid answers.  I've just
> received an opsis board from Numato, with the hopes of using to do video
> capture at an astronomy conference in a few weeks.
>
> 1) Is there a *best* latest firmware to load?  Running the
> "download-prebuilt-firmware" command doesn't seem to quite work,
> although it shows me which tags have which platforms available

The {opsis/atlys}/firmware/stable symlink in the prebuilt-repo [1] links
to the current stable release of the firmware.

[1] https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-firmware-prebuilt

> [...]
>
> 3)  If I have two inputs, can I switch back and forth between them by
> issuing the appropriate video mixer commands?

Yes, the command is

x c <source> <sink>

Cheers
Kyle

signature.asc

Carl Karsten

Jun 11, 2018, 10:56:29 AM6/11/18
to hdmi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 8:49 PM, Nathan Garver-Daniels
<nate.garv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
> Apologies if these are stupid questions. I've been bouncing around in
> the documentation, the wiki on github, github issues and commits, the
> debconf notes, etc. but haven't come up with solid answers. I've just
> received an opsis board from Numato, with the hopes of using to do video
> capture at an astronomy conference in a few weeks.
>
> 1) Is there a *best* latest firmware to load? Running the
> "download-prebuilt-firmware" command doesn't seem to quite work, although it
> shows me which tags have which platforms available

I'm not sure the symlinks are maintained.

This is how I do it:

https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/wiki/Flashing-Firmware

I tried to make that page simple, but the permutations of distro,
board, channel, etc make it noisy.

python3 download-prebuilt-firmware.py --platform opsis

I lurk in the #timvideos freenode channel and have and Opsis setup for
doing tests on.
Happy to help debug what problems you are having.

> 2) Does Displayport input/output work? It doesn't show up as an option when
> I connect to the opsis when it's in hdmi2usb mode.

There is no support for it in the firmware.

--
Carl K