GSoC '18 : Capturing Audio from HDMI

Abhishek Agrawal

Mar 19, 2018, 2:01:57 AM3/19/18
to hdmi2usb - A HDMI capture solution

Respected Sir,

I hope this finds you well. I am Abhishek, a senior undergraduate pursuing Electronics and Communication Engineering from IIT Guwahati (India). I have worked on various hardware projects involving both FPGAs and micro-controllers, and have gained decent proficiency in concepts involving digital circuits, computer architecture and writing code in Verilog HDL. I wish to work with TimVideos for my Google Summer of Code Project, specifically on 'HDMI Audio to USB Audio'.

I have gone through the readings related to TMDS encoding suggested by you and really look forward to contributing to the project. Kyle Robbertze (@paddatrapper) mentioned that no work has been done related to capture of audio from HDMI and hence wish to work on the HDMI side of the project and assuming that we need to build HDMI capture from scratch (which makes it even more interesting). Currently, I am working on a rough outline on how to proceed with the project and would explain the same in a separate post. Simultaneously, I am also going through the TMDS repo on GitHub.

I would also like to take this opportunity to add a little background about myself. I am experienced with FPGAs and Verilog HDL. Under the guidance of my VLSI Design course instructor, I have worked on FPGA-based real-time simulation of Power-Transmission Line. The project used Virtex-5 FPGA and involved extensive use of systolic arrays and pipelining. The project was written in Verilog HDL. Moreover, recently, I have taken up the implementation of a 'Convolutional Neural Networks Engine' at my university. If you wish to pursue my profile further, please take a look at my CV (click here).

I would also like to apologise for turning up so late and yet expecting the mentors to help me through.
Thank You for your time.

Regards,
Abhishek Agrawal
Electronics and Communication Engg.
Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
India