GSoC Project - Adding USB Audio Support to the HDMI2USB firmware

Kyle Robbertze

Jul 18, 2017, 10:47:24 AM7/18/17
to timv...@googlegroups.com, hdmi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A late introduction, but here we go...

My project, Adding USB Audio Support to the HDMI2USB firmware, has been
selected as one of the two Google Summer of Code projects for this year.

The HDMI2USB firmware is the embedded code that runs on the Opsis and
Atlys capture boards. It is split into two parts: the FPGA code, which
is responsible for the HDMI ingestion and the FX2 code, which deals with
the interface between the FPGA and the host PC over USB.

I will be adding USB audio support to the HDMI2USB FX2 firmware[1]. This
will allow capture boards to be seen as audio capture devices at the
same time as video capture device. By the end of my project, hopefully
the FX2 will be able to be discovered as a composite audio and video
device by a host PC without extra drivers.

Adding USB audio reduces the number of required cables to capture audio
from a presenter’s laptops. Currently presentation audio is typically
captured over a separate 3.5mm mini-jack from the headphone jack or an
audio interface over another USB cable.

As well USB audio has applications for other input sources, such as HDMI
capable cameras, as many these devices can send their audio over that
HDMI connection.

The attached diagram displays the path audio could take with my USB
audio project and HDMI audio capture implemented.

I also am improving the development process for working on this firmware
in the process. This will hopefully make it easier for people to
contribute to this part of the project in the future!

My proposal can be found at [2] and my progress blog at [3].

I am paddatrapper on IRC and GitHub [4]. I am South African, with an
interest in embedded devices. I am studying a Bachelor of Science at the
University of Cape Town majoring in Computer Science and Computer
Engineering. I am also part of the DebConf video team, which responsible
for the video and audio coverage of Debian’s DebConfs and minconfs. We
currently use 5 Opsis boards, three in talk rooms, one spare and one for
development. As far as I can gather, I am one of two South Africans
participating in this year's GSoC.

[1] https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-fx2-firmware
[2]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kv73NfBJwkwP_zH2cWQFAIp6qhfH3iIhUfYqtZ_KrH[3]
https://gsoc.paddatrapper.me/
[4] https://github.com/paddatrapper

Cheers
Kyle
TimVideosSetup_audio.png
signature.asc

AJ Castro-Chandri

Jul 18, 2017, 11:00:16 AM7/18/17
to hdmi...@googlegroups.com
Nice!
Some linkyness-magic happened in the footnotes:
Inline image 1

Kyle

Kyle Robbertze

Jul 18, 2017, 11:03:13 AM7/18/17
to hdmi...@googlegroups.com
On 18/07/2017 17:00, AJ Castro-Chandri wrote:
> Nice!
> Some linkyness-magic happened in the footnotes:
> Inline image 1

Thanks for spotting that, here are the correct links:

[1] https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB-fx2-firmware
[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kv73NfBJwkwP_zH2cWQFAIp6qhfH3iIhUfYqtZ_KrH8/edit?usp=sharing
signature.asc

AJ Castro-Chandri