Slow Fix

mgrharry

Sep 24, 2015, 2:57:45 PM9/24/15
to HDDSuperTool Discussion Forum
First of all, I'd like to thank you for what looks to be a very interesting and useful tool.  Now to the details:

Working on a WD Passport Ultra 2TB Model WDBMWV002BTT.  Swapped U12 chip to SATA donor board and applied WD Mod02 dump script which appeared to go through successfully but once I swapped the original PCB back the drive seems to be just as slow as it was before.  I can extract data from the drive but it creeps along at a rate of just several MB per minute. Any thoughts?

SMART diagnostics for drive report Reallocated sector count of 2805 and reallocated event count of 1020.  No pending sectors reported in SMART,

mgrharry

Sep 24, 2015, 3:33:01 PM9/24/15
to HDDSuperTool Discussion Forum
I'm thinking maybe MOD32 also needs be cleared, per this post: http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29187&start=20

Scott Dwyer

Sep 24, 2015, 8:31:24 PM9/24/15
to HDDSuperTool Discussion Forum
Hello there and welcome to HDDSuperTool!

I am not an expert on specific hard drive issues so I can't tell you if that would fix it. But if you are looking for a way to do the WD slow fix, HDDSuperTool could be capable of doing that if someone were to write a script for it. It is on my list of things to do, but unfortunately I have not had much time at all to work on this project lately. The closest it can come right now is the VSC script to dump mod 02, which is kind of crude but gets the job done. And I see you posted on HDD Oracle also, and yes that script can read mod 02 from a USB attached drive (tested on a WD Passport).

Hopefully someday I will make a script that can perform the slow fix.

Scott

angel...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 5:10:45 PM9/30/15
to HDDSuperTool Discussion Forum
Interesting.  I wasn't able to get it to run the mod2 dump over USB but I was successful doing applying it after SATA conversion.  I also applied the MOD32 patch (http://mod32patch.sourceforge.net) to no visible effect save for the zeroing of some smart values.

Scott Dwyer

Sep 30, 2015, 6:48:08 PM9/30/15
to HDDSuperTool Discussion Forum
HDDSuperTool can only communicate to a USB connected drive using the passthrough mode, although you probably were using that mode already. But you are at the mercy of the USB controller that is connected to the drive as to what commands will work. For instance, I can perform PIO reads and dump mod02 on my passport through the USB, but I can't perform DMA read commands. When using aftermarket USB adapters usually VSC commands don't work at all, and results of some other normal commands may not be accurate.

It would seem that I am in possession of WD drive that appears to be suffering from the slow issue. So at some time in the future I will be trying to write my own fix in HDDSuperTool.

Good luck with your recovery.