Mission Statement and Objectives Message Going Forward from Derek Hartley

Hamilton Blues Society NZ

Jun 2, 2022, 5:38:20 PM6/2/22
to hbs-mail...@googlegroups.com

Dear Hamilton Blues Society NZ members,

So, I am hearing on the ‘vine’ that some may not be able to attend next weeks AGM and may give their proxy to others, and I was hoping to catch up with as many as possible  prior to the vote primarily to make myself available for people to (understandably) quiz me about what I might want to bring to the blues club table as a Chair.

I would like to see a re-set to the focus of the core elements of the club – providing best opportunities for people to listen and/or play blues music in an encouraging and enjoyable environment , and to get there I really want to give all members the chance to ‘shape’ the club – not just the elected committee members.

How do I think we can do that? – well, by working with the committee, I think there is some real opportunity to get around the table and listen to everyone’s ideas (think workshops with all members and that sort of thing).  Then once we have refreshed the game plan we can set about doing those things – but doing them with a larger group of members – not just the committee members of the day.

We have plenty of room to have members engage with playing opportunities for all ages (I’ll say it out loud - we need some young people engaged with us!), sound management, event management, club administration, social media admin, we probably have some legal stuff that needs addressing - just generally giving the members way more ownership of their club and moving away from the model of relying on a few to do the work for many - that is not sustainable.

So be clear I am thinking let’s have a larger group of people (co -opted members) working with the committee to run our club!

I hope that helps and I urge you all to have a think, make sure you are paid up before the AGM and then using your vote, express your desire as to what happens next.

Feel free to give me a call if that helps!

Derek Hartley

029 2884 898

derekh...@xtra.co.nz

Just so there is no confusion, Derek has been nominated for the role of Chairperson.
There are two people vying for the role: Derek Hartley and Dean McGaveston.

Dean McGaveston
HBS