Genius idea from James Newton: Put the brain in the charging base!

Scott Monaghan

Jan 5, 2022, 5:51:31 PM1/5/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I've had the luck and pleasure of getting to meet a lot of talented professional and weekend-warrior roboticists. James (of Haddington Dynamics and award-winning hackaday.io Dexter fame and more) has been one of the most generous. (I'm trying to get him to join this group so I'm buttering him up).

He's been advising on my RoBud robot since day 1, and earlier today we were talking about how the Jetson Nano is a real power hog.

Now James knows that I didn't want to have a separate stand-alone-server for my bot because I didn't want to add more complexity for the end-users to maintain. The goal is to make Ro-Bud accessible.

BUT I've always known Robud will need a charging base, and that will ALWAYS be plugged in. Why not just put the Nano in there and stream commands and sensor data back and forth from the mobile unit that handles output.

Now, at Robud's maturity that would be a MAJOR design change, so I'm not sure if I'm going to pursue it for this project, but if I were starting from scratch I'd try to go with that architecture.

Now, the implementation of that could still be difficult, especially for handling video and audio, or other sensors that expect a full linux box on board, but still, I think it's totally doable.