micro-ROS or not?

Mark Womack

Jan 12, 2022, 3:19:07 PM1/12/22
to hbrob...@googlegroups.com
On a different micro-ROS topic...

For the ExampleBot's we are planning to use a microcontroller to control simpler sensors, say for distance/object detection, surface/edge detection. motor driver, etc. Should we use the Arduino micro-ROS library to publish this data or should we just push the data to a node on the microcomputer (that is running ROS2) and publish the data from there?

In my last ROS1 robot we used rosserial to subscribe and publish to ROS topics. So, the microcontroller (in this case a Teensy 3.5) was listening to cmd_vel and driving the motors accordingly. Odometry from the encoders was published, the data from the IMU was published, etc. It seemed to work ok, but seemed like a lot of overhead just to get data out of the microcontroller.

The microcontroller in the ExampleBots isn't going to have much robot "intelligence", we are expecting to have most if not all of that in the microcomputer. Does it make sense to even use micro-ROS?

-Mark